chapter six

The airport had always been the most interesting place for Alina. Ever since her dad had gone to his first business trip and she and her mom had gone with him to see him off, she was so fascinated by the variety of the sounds that filled her ears. there were so many people laughing and screaming and crying aloud and talking. There was so much life and movement. She could feel it all the way to her bones. And of course now wasn't any different.

They had arrived at the airport fifteen minutes ago and Alina was trying to understand for the past five minutes if the guy sitting across from her was really sorry for cheating on his girlfriend or not. The girl was obviously crying and cursing him but he had a really firm and straight tone. There was almost no emotions at all in his voice.

"Lin come on. It's time to go." She heard Stella say.

They walked towards the gate and then Stella turned to face them. Alina heard her swallow hard. She knew her friend was trying to fight back the tears.

"So." Stella started saying.

"What a cliche way to start." Said Noah smiling down at his sister. She elbowed him in the stomach with a glare.

"Turd." She said but got over her fake anger and gave her brother a bear hug. Alina heard Noah laugh and he hugged his sister back, lifting her off the floor.

"Be safe and work hard. Okay shortie?" Noah said quietly to Stella. In fact if Alina wasn't so close to them and didn't have the gift of bionic hearing then she probably wouldn't have heard him.

Stella nodded her head, smiling. She let go if her brother and stood in front of Alina without speaking. Alina smiled.

"Let me know if its you I'm hugging." She said and then ran and grabbed Stella into a tight hug. The girl laughed with tears in her eyes.

"You got me Lin." Stella said. Alina smiled tightening her grip.

"Always." She then let go and tried looking in her eyes. "Be good. Okay Cameron?"

Stella laughed and nodded. Then the speakers announced the departure of the plain and Stella started moving towards the entrance. When she was at the door she turned to look at them.

"Do me a favour will you?" She shouted.

"What?" Noah asked.

"Take care of each other."

And then she was gone and Alina was left alone with Noah in the large hall. There was an awkward silence, before she decided she couldn't take it an more.

"Should we go?" She said. Noah nodded his head while looking at the entrance from which Stella had left.

He turned around and started walking. Leaving Alina behind and because she didn't realise that he had left she just stood there, waiting for him to answer. They had left Debra under the care of a security guy when they arrived at the airport and Alina had stupidly left her cane in the car, so she couldn't exactly start walking around on her own. The airport was full of people. She couldn't possibly make it to the exit by herself.

After about three minutes of patiently waiting, she reached her hand out to find Noah but she grabbed air. She tried again. Nothing. Then she turned around and called his name. Not too loud. If he was anywhere near her he would've listened. But of course he was nowhere to be found or -in Alina's case -heard.

She took a deep breath and reminded herself that he was her best friends brother. She couldn't murder him. Actually she could. But she would choose not to. Possibly.

After completing her breathing exercise to calm her nerves, she started thinking.

Noah wasn't the only human who could help her. There were tons of people in the airport. She could ask one of them.