chapter nineteen

It was a quiet Sunday afternoon. The sun was climbing through the curtains, flooding the room with an orange light. Alina was sitting by the window reading a book she had bought about the Roman empire. The  constructions at her school were complete and she would soon start her courses again. She had chosen her major to be the Roman empire. It was extremely interesting but required focus.  

Noah was working on his computer. The exhibition was in two days and he had been staying up till late to check every last detail. Alina had tried to tell him that everything was perfect and that he'd already checked the photographs a thousand times but he wasn't listening. He was actually nervous. She thought it was pretty cute.

Stella was coming back tomorrow afternoon and Alina was beyond ecstatic. She had missed her friend. They rarely separated for such a long period of time so Alina was super excited to have her back. And they had lots to talk about.

After some time Alina closed the book and yawned stretching her hands above her head. She could hear Noah typing on the keyboard. She stood up and headed towards him, tapping him on the shoulder.

"You're gonna hurt your eyes at this rate." She said. Noah smiled distracted.

"I know." He said and after typing for a little more he let out a sigh and pulled away from the screen letting his back rest against the chair. "It's just that I want this to go well." He bit his bottom lip nervously "It's my first exhibition and I worry that I'll blow it and I'll make a mess, just like I always do and I'll take the others down with me and I just-"

"Noah." Alina cut him resting one hand on his shoulder. She felt him let out a long breath. He removed his glasses- he only wore them when he was extremely busy and tired and couldn't bother to put on his contact lenses- and rubbed his eyes.

"I just don't want to ruin it. I'm supposed to be the leader of this project. And the others depend on me, I don't want to disappoint them."

He was worried. Alina could tell. She stood behind him and put her hands on his shoulders rubbing reassuringly. He relaxed under her touch.

"It's going to be fine." Alina said with a smile. Noah closed his eyes and leaned back to her, resting his head against her chest. Alina was scared he would hear her heart beating ridiculously fast. "I promise." She added. He didn't answer.

"Thank you Alina." He said after a while. His voice was honest and sweet. She cought herself blushing.

"Anytime." She replied with a smile removing her hands from his shoulders.

Ever since they had gone on that drive together things between them were..... confusing. It was like they were playing a game, pushing each other, exploring their limits, what they could and could not do. Alina found it really hard to catch up with him. She knew her own feelings but she wasn't sure if Noah felt the same. He wanted something from her. It was like he was asking her a question she didn't know the answer to and every time they got close to finding out, they both backed away.

"Come on," Alina said then. "You've got to get off of that chair."

Noah put his glasses back on and looked at her, a faint smile on his face.

"What do you propose?" He asked, leaving his seat and standing in front of her. Alina thought about it a little and smiled mischievously.

"I believe they call it dancing." She said.

Noah looked at her, frowning.

"Who are you and what have you done to my brownie?"

She laughed, feeling her cheeks heat up.