Chapter 17 - The Right Choice

Merlin raises a hand, knocking tentatively on the door to the physician's chambers and waits. He first hears quiet shuffling on the other side, then footsteps as someone approaches. There's a soft click when the door is unlocked and the hinges squeak in protest as the door is forced open.

Merlin almost wants to tackle the old man into a hug when he sees him through the open door. He smiles at him brightly, plastering on his widest grin as the physician recognizes the boy at his door. Gaius smiles back, his expression turning from somber to joyful in a matter of seconds. "Merlin, my boy!" he exclaims happily, hobbling over to give the warlock a hug.

Merlin returns the gesture whole heartedly, not realizing how much he missed his mentor. He gives the old man a comforting pat on the back before pulling away, smiling even more widely than before. Gaius quickly stands aside for him to enter, ushering him in and shutting the door.

The next person he sees is Will. His friend in standing in the centre of the room, mouth agape as he stares. Merlin grins at him as well, walking forward to clasp a hand on his friend's shoulder. "Thought you would never see me again?" he says, chuckling.

Will's face breaks into a smile, and if Merlin didn't know any better, he would swear he could see tears in his friend's eyes. "And was glad too. Thought you were finally out of my hair," he says, trying to sound tougher than he really was.

They both laugh, pulling the other in for an embrace. They only let go when the door to the small room upstairs opens. Merlin hears a small gasp before the sound of rushing footsteps. Will is shoved out of the way as his mother barrels towards him. He feels her wrap her arms around his neck, pulling him in so tightly that he has to bend down in fear of being choked to death.

"Oh Merlin," he hears his mother say as she buries her face in his neck. "Merlin..." She gives a soft sob as tears pool from her eyes, staining his neckerchief while he rocks her gently.

"I'm alright, mother. I'm alright," he says in reassurance, rubbing gentle circles along her back.

His mother pulls away soon after, rubbing at her eyes with the palm of her hand. "Did-did you manage to clear your name?" she asks hopefully, eyes alight.

Merlin looks away. He stares off into the distance, trying to choose his words carefully. How can he put this as lightly as possible? "I... um..." he begins, scratching at the back of his head. He glances at the faces around the room, seeing the hope in their eyes. He hates that he has to crush them. "I-uh, no. I didn't clear it."

He sees everyone's shoulders slump, the smiles turning into frowns as they listen to his words. Their expressions deflate, their moment of elation gone like the wind. "Then why have you come here?" his mother asks, holding onto his sleeve desperately.

"I wanted to say goodbye..." he says quietly.

"You mustn't put yourself in needless danger. You could have been killed or worse," Gaius chides.

Merlin shrugs. "It's not like it would have mattered. I'm being sentenced to death. It would have happened one way or another."

They all fall silent, looking down at the floor as the words sink in.

"We can help you escape," Will says, a spark of hope lighting up again in his eyes. "We could smuggle you out. Run away back to Cenred's kingdom."

Merlin shakes his head, brushing away his mother's hand and taking a step back. "I'm not leaving."

Will stares at him dumbfounded. "Are you insane?" He throws his arms up in the air. "You mean to stay here and allow that man," he points up in the general direction of the royal chambers, "to find you and kill you?"