Chapter 20 - One Last Time

Two days passed in relative silence. There was no sign of Morgana, but the people of Camelot kept themselves on high alert. They were always working, never willing to slow down and let the underlying sense of danger catch them. Everyone knew what was coming. The king had announced the potential attack from Morgana long ago. All that was left to do was prepare and wait.

The days went by in a blur to the citizens of Camelot. There was movement everywhere in the city and not a single soul was left without a task. The people of the lower town gathered their things and made their way towards the safety of the citadel walls. The servants busied themselves by carrying blankets throughout the castle to ensure sure there was enough space to house all the townspeople. The kitchen staff piled boxes upon boxes of food in the storage rooms to prepare for the upcoming weeks as no one knew when the siege may end. The knights were sent out on patrol all over the kingdom as the guards stayed in the palace, sharpening swords or stocking arrows.

The same routine continued on the third day, and as the people of Camelot were about to turn in for the night, the warning bells chimed.

-----

Arthur leaps out of bed the second he hears the bells tolling. He grabs his clothes and armour, throwing them on as quickly, and as best, as possible. He sheathes his sword in his belt and bursts into Merlin's chambers, not caring if he accidentally gives the boy a heart attack.

"Is it Morgana?" Merlin asks, pulling on his last boot.

"Let's hope not. Come on." 

He heads out the door, Merlin following close behind, and makes his way towards the parapet at the top of the castle. The pair walk briskly through the citadel, paying no mind to the heads that turn their way when the king and his, supposedly dead, manservant pass in the hall.

When Arthur arrives at the empty parapet it's to be greeted by the sight of an array of lights. Fires dot the fields below, making the ground seem like a reflection of the starry sky above. He can see the soldiers that wait amongst the trees and a cold shiver runs down his spine at the scene. It's almost a mirror image of what happened in Ealdor. 

He turns to look at Merlin who stands beside him, also bracing his arms on the stone battlements. Anger is the only emotion in the warlock's eyes as he stares down at the army, no doubt thinking of the men that had attacked his home only mere weeks earlier. Arthur reaches a hand out, placing his overtop of Merlin's own and giving it a light squeeze. The servant's eyes soften slightly, but they don't turn to look at Arthur. His gaze remains locked on the enemies ahead though Arthur can feel the tension leave him somewhat. 

"You'll be careful?" Arthur asks.

Merlin gives a small smile. "I can take care of myself. There's no need to worry."

Arthur chuckles. "I recall you seemed to be more concerned over mushrooms than when a sword was pointed at your neck. How am I to know you won't risk your life to save a bunch of turnips this time?" 

He hears Merlin laugh and in the stillness of the night Arthur swears its the most beautiful sound he's ever heard. "Well, there is one turnip head I wouldn't mind risking my life for."

Arthur laughs as well, remembering the odd insult Merlin had once called him during better times. He lets their banter relieve the tension that has built up over the past few days and before he's able to respond he hears footsteps behind him. He turns to find Leon and a few knights carrying crossbows now with them on the parapets.

"Sire," Leon begins, though his, and many of the other knight's, focus seems to be trained on Merlin. "The others are waiting in the courtyard for your orders."