Chapter 18 - A Dangerous Gamble

A pleasant spark shoots down his spine when he feels Arthur's lips press against his. Merlin leans into the kiss with fervour, his grip tightening around the king's waist as though the moment would end if he lets go. He can feel Arthur return the gesture, his arms pulling him closer as he deepens the kiss, slipping his tongue into the warlock's mouth. Merlin moans in pleasure at the action, feeling his magic tingle underneath his skin, bursting through the seams with excitement as it responds to his elation.

They part a few moments later, a little breathless and with much too wide grins on their faces. Neither seem to want to let go, both keeping their arms wrapped around the other as they simply stare once more. Arthur though, is the first to break his gaze, his eyes seeming to have been caught by something behind the servant's head.

Merlin raises an eyebrow, turning his head to follow Arthur's stare and immediately flushes red with embarrassment. Pots, vials, and books all dance through the air, performing little twirls and flips as they float around the physician's chambers. 

The king chuckles as he watches one of Gaius' tomes sail past his head, the book flapping its leather bound cover as though it were a set of wings. Arthur lifts a hand up to poke at one of the floating vials, laughing with amusement as it snuggles up to him.

Merlin gapes at the flying objects, feeling embarrassed at having his magic react in such a way to his emotions. He should be able to control his magic by now, especially after years of Gaius' tutelage. He racks his brain to remember the correct spell to stop the floating objects. He mutters a mad jumble of words until finally something works. The jars and potions drop from the air suddenly, the life sucked out of them in an instant and Merlin swears he can hear Arthur give a small sigh of disappointment. The warlock, on the other hand, lets out a breath of relief before turning back to Arthur, a tinge of red still on his cheeks. "I guess I got a little too excited," he says quietly.

Arthur laughs, running a hand through the servant's hair soothingly. "I suppose that's something you'll have to learn to control if you're planning on staying. My chambers are already messy enough as is because of a certain incompetent servant that consistently neglects his duties."

Merlin smiles, the redness disappearing from his cheeks as they return to their familiar routine. "And who decided to lock said incompetent servant down in the dungeons so he couldn't perform his duties?"

Arthur snickers, "A proper servant would have shown up to work anyways. I never officially sacked you after all."

Merlin's about to give another retort when a knock echoes around the room. "Sire?" A voice calls from the other side, "Are you there?"

Merlin tenses immediately once he hears the voice of the man on the other side. He would recognize that voice anywhere. After all, it has managed to haunt his nightmares for quiet awhile now. He shoots a quick glance towards Arthur who looks equally as panicked, the relaxed expression from earlier having melted away instantly. The king gestures towards the small room behind them, a sense of urgency in his eyes as he shoves Merlin towards the stairs.  

The warlock doesn't complain as he moves quietly up the few steps, entering the room and shutting the door behind him. He presses his ear against the wood once he's inside, trying to listen in as best he can from across the room.

"Ah, uncle," he hears Arthur say, feigning surprise, "I didn't expect to find you here."

"Nor did I, my lord," there's a moment of silence, "Is there no one else? I thought I heard you talking with someone."