wishful thinking | k. tobio

•Gender-neutral pronouns•
******

He's so close to me..

For two whole hours of your study period, all you can think of was how he was so close to you.

He was at arm's length, close enough to touch. He was sitting across from you, completing a worksheet you made yourself.

You remembered how your friend barged into your classroom, class 1-5, while you were eating your lunch, how he came up to you and bowed at a 90 degree angle, and asked you to teach him. You were aghast, your chopsticks clattered on the floor, and you were pale as a sheet.

You were certainly not expecting this.

"Ano... (l/n)-san?"

You snapped out of your reverie as he caught your attention with the baritone of his voice. You said a quick, "Yes?" before he handed you his completed worksheet in Math he was working on.

You rummaged in your bag for the answer key you made and set it down the table. You set to work after uncapping your red ballpen, checking his answers.

"Nee, Kageyama-kun, I though you were studying with Hinata-kun and Hitoka-chan?" you asked, as the red ink of your ballpen predicted the boy's fate with every line made.

He seemed to pause before answering your question.

"Ettou... Hinata and I were always arguing during study sessions, and I could tell Yachi-san was becoming uncomfortable with the fights, so I figured that I wanted to study with you.." he said.

You mumbled a small "Is that so?" and finished checking his paper. He eyed it with a shocked expression.

"EH?!" he yelled suddenly, earning looks of annoyance from other people in the library.

He eventually calmed down and looked at you, with eyes shining brightly as if he had won the lottery.

You smiled slightly, knowing that the encircled, red-penned number 80 was enough to make his day.
-----------

Finals week came and go, with some students who felt like they were in heaven, and others, well... it's not looking good for the others.

You felt like jumping into the air and framing your exam papers to be preserved for a lifetime. This was the first time you got a barrage of 90+ scores for all of your subjects, and it was utter satisfaction for all the sleepless nights you have experienced.

"(L/N)-SAAAAN!!!"

Kageyama ran to your desk, everyone was looking at him as he did. He didn't care if he was causing a ruckus, all he cared was the score etched on the paper in his hand.

"K-Kageyama-kun!" you exclaimed.

He shoved the piece of paper he held in your hands, and you eyed the score on top of the paper.

89 percent.

You jumped in the air, bliss coarsing through your veins. All the hard work paid off, all the awkward study sessions were poured into this very score.

"Thank you, (l/n)-san!" he said.

You were suddenly pulled to his embrace. You caught a whiff of his perfume, a bit of fabric conditioner on his clothing, and a small scent of his sweat. You blushed heavily and prayed he didn't notice.

He suddenly pulled you out of the room and into the library. It was surprisingly vacant.

You wondered why he took you here, but you found the answer moments later.

Kageyama gently pressed his lips to yours, a blush coating his visage as you did so. You were taken aback from the sudden action taken by the tsundere setter.

You were hopelessly, desperately in love with him. And now, he was exhibiting an action that screamed "Love".

You never wanted this to end.

He pulled off after a few seconds, and his voice molded into the words you wanted him to say.

"I'm in love with you."

*******

You woke up with a start, heart beating wildly in your chest. It echoed through the walls of the bedroom.

It was only a dream, of course. That scenario would never exist, never in your whole life.

Yet, you longed, with your whole heart, for Kageyama Tobio to fall in love with you.

Of course, that is only wishful thinking.

For Kageyama Tobio was only a sketch, a drawing that came to life in that one anime you saw that brought color to your life.

He never existed in the first place.

And you, you were a desperate fangirl, who lived in the reality of life. You knew it was impossible to love him, but you did.

You wake again for another day, knowing that your fantasies were merely dreams and wishful thinking.
••••••••••

A/n

Nothing like a angsty plot twist on a slightly fluffy one-shot.

//sips coffee with a smirk
//slapped

Ah, I really love to write angst.

Sometimes I'm scared of this side of myself...

Well, anyways, hope you liked this one-shot :)

-xen :)