cliché | s. koushi

Gender-neutral pronouns
••••••••

Now they've done it.

Sugawara had to keep himself from blushing and morph into a stuttering mess as he looked at a certain
(l/n) (f/n) who was sitting across him.

The ever so amazing Daichi, Tanaka and Nishinoya got him into this. With a few types on his phone that was practically stolen from him, he got into this (awkward) situation wherein he had to mentally slap himself from blushing in front of them in this small, stately cafe he (or rather, they) wanted to meet up with them to go to the summer festival together.

"Sugawara-kun?"

He snapped out of his daze and gazed into his coffee to avoid meeting their eyes. He made a mental note to kill those three (with kindness) later, as he failed to hold back a blush when he heard their voice calling out his name.

"Y-yeah?" he mumbled, then silently cursed for stuttering in front of them.

They must be thinking that I'm a complete idiot now, aren't they? he thought to himself.

They looked at the silverhead with such concern, the poor male was looking rather red and feverish. Maybe he has the caught a cold, and they're feeling rather concerned.

"Are you alrig—" they started, but Sugawara blurted out a, "Yes!" as he turned fifty shades of vermillion.

The awkward silence presumed, pressing into their ears. (l/n) was the first to break it though, because they excused themselves to go to the restroom.

They emerged later, shuffling out shyly in a plain (f/c) kimono with a paper fan in hand. Sugawara was nothing but awestruck at the sight.

His heart was racing at irregular speeds. He cursed at himself, not wanting come out as obviously in love in front of them.

They waved their hand in front of his face, hoping to bring him back to reality. He flinched slightly, and, with and some mumbling, they went to the festival together, with silence hanging between the two teenagers once more.

---------

"So, what d'you want to do, (l/n)-san?" Sugawara asked.

The festival grounds were filled with kiosks, lit lanterns and the sky was powdered with stardust. It seemed like a perfect night.

"Well, not much. I'm in for the food and the fireworks so..." they trailed off the moment Sugawara disappeared by their side.

Sugawara returned to his kimono-clad friend, with two candied apples in hand, delicacies in a festival. They mumbled a "thank you" as they accepted the treat. The silverhead's cheeks flushed crimson the moment he felt their fingers brush.

I am being overly dramatic, he thought. Just a simple action made my cheeks redden instantly.

Then, Sugawara suddenly remembered a great place to watch the fireworks.

"Hey, follow me." he prompted them.

(f/n) followed, clasping tightly the male's hand to avoid getting lost in the large crowd. They snaked through kimonos and casuals, kiosks and food stalls.

At last they came upon an area arched with trees in a gentle upward slope that gave the perfect view of the stars. (f/n) gasped in awe, letting go of the male's hand and ran to the highest point to admire the view of the stars. Sugawara crossed his arms and smiled. Oh, how he loved seeing them happy, content and awestruck. The different emotions that they showed were always a beautiful feeling that washed over him.

His fingers interlaced with their's unexpectedly, halting their romp and frolic. They faced him, surprise evident in their expression, as Sugawara guided their hand to lay atop his shoulder, and snaked his hand around their waist. He led them to a slow and simple dance.

It's as if the time stopped and their heartbeats were interconnected with each other. No one directed eye contact, all of it was awkward.

(f/n) felt butterflies in her chest as Sugawara felt his heart leap out of his chest. The night felt amazing, too good to be true, even. Sugawara smiled to himself thinking that maybe Daichi, Noya and Tanaka didn't make a mistake after all.

The setter pulled them close gently, taking them by surprise. His warm breath washed over their ear, in a low whisper.

"I love you."

Before they could react, he lowered his lips to theirs, connecting into a sweet kiss. The moment they kissed, the first firework exploded into the air, painting the starlit sky with colors and lights that cannot be made by celestial bodies.

"How cliché." they said, the moment they parted, with a smile on their lips.

All of this was merely cliché, but it was enough for two hearts to intertwine in a summer night.
••••••••

succESSFULLY SURVUVED THE FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL

OH YES

so maybe i'll be updating tomo so stay tuned for the other books, guys :)

-xen