midnights and burnt toast | i. hajime (edited)

Gender-neutral pronouns.

Background check: You are a college student, living with your businessman boyfriend, iwa-chan, who is 2 years older than you.
•••••••••

"Tadaima." he said, taking off his shoes and stepping into the small, stately apartment.
"Okaeri, Hajime."

A sleepy figure was waiting at the dining table, books and folders sprawled across the surface. Their eyes were drooping, but they still managed a small smile as he strode across the room and pulled a chair to sit across them.

"What the hell happened?" he asked, eyeing their dark circle and sleepy demeanor.
"College." you said with a groan.

College was a cruel world for them, with the upcoming finals and thesis defense, which made (f/n) the sleep-deprived human being they are right now.

Hajime chuckled, ruffling their hair, entangling his fingers through the mess he made. In the world of business he was engrossed with, he missed the times he was in their place, cramming over his thesis and studying for finals at the same time. Now that his love was experiencing the very same thing, he suddenly remembered the nights he sacrificed in order to graduate with flying colors.

"Cheer up, it's not too bad." he said.
"Says the one who graduated and doesn't take finals anymore." they countered, frowning at him.

They stood up and opened the toaster, popping in two loaves of bread. They were starving, they studied for seven hours straight, no meals eaten. Hajime looked on with concern, he didn't want to see them studying non-stop with no meals taken and no sleep satisfied in this ghastly hour.

"It's midnight, you need sleep." he reminded.
"And I need to study for my freaking grade."

This was one thing Hajime hated about them. When they were sleep-deprived and hungry, snide remarks and comebacks flood out of their lips, making Hajime smack his forehead in frustration for his sleep-deprived lover.

It will be hard to tell this to them, if they're like that.

"(f/n), could you stop the comebacks? I have to tell you something."

They stared at him with such curious, (e/c) eyes, silent and motionless for a while. The comebacks stopped, in utter curiosity for what their boyfriend is going to tell them.

"4 years, (f/n). In these wonderful four years I have learned to put up with your comebacks, your funny laugh, your pranks. I have loved every smile of yours, our every kiss, our every embrace. I have cherished every morning, waking up beside you, only inches apart. And... I want to experience this over and over again for the rest of my life." he said, holding their hand.

They smiled, already getting what their boyfriend is talking about. They felt like they were on cloud nine, singing praises with the angels on their boyfriend's sudden announcement.

"You want to marry me, dontcha?" they said sleepily.

Hajime returned the smile, and slipped a simple diamond ring, knowing what their answer would be. He stared at their beautiful (e/c) eyes for a moment, squeezing their hand tightly and never wanted to let go.

But, before anything else happened, a foul odor permeated the air.

"The toast!"

They rushed to the toaster, and removed the bread out of the appliance. The two loaves of bread were completely blackened, it almost looked inedible.

"I can smell the scent of failure.." they mumbled, as they set the plate down with the square piece of failure as an excuse for toast.

Hajime picked up a piece of toast, and bit a corner out of it. He laughed as the charred bread slid down his esophagus and into the confines of his stomach, the remnants of the failure ingested and digested.

"Another thing I'll get used to for the rest of our lives. Burnt toast."
••••••••••

Yay!

The first one-shot in this collection where I didn't kill anybody or have a nasty, angsty ending!

Vote or comment if you liked this :)

-xen