Wishful Thinking

Stiles packed an overnight bag just in case. He didn't know what to expect or if Derek would even show up. Of course, he promised to, but if Stiles had learned anything from himself these past few months, it's that people don't always mean what they say.

          Maybe something could happen between the two of them, maybe it would- again. Despite the fact that it occurred quite often, sex was never the major focus in their relationship. Looking back on it, Stiles found that he always was. Everything he wanted, Derek tried to find a way to get and everything he needed, Derek tried to be. It made him physically nauseous to know he gave that up.

_____________________________________________

Derek grabbed his leather jacket, keys already in hand as he walked toward his similarly looking loft door, "You know what he wants, right?" asked Cora, arms folded pointedly.

"Yeah." Derek nodded, picking up the book that he almost left without.

Cora rolled her eyes, "God, you are so naive."

"What?" Derek asked, turning back around to face his younger sister.

"He didn't call you for some book." she scoffed.

"And how would you know?" Derek tilted his head to the side questioningly.

"I listened." she answered flatly.

"Since when was that any of your business?" Derek glared, not wishing to take part in sharing his pain.

"It's not." she shrugged, "Doesn't change why he wants to meet in the first place."

"He wants the book." Derek said, holding it tightly within his hand.

"He wants you back." Cora corrected, taking a seat on their olive colored couch.

"I doubt that." Derek smirked sadly.

Cora rolled her eyes, "Derek, he still cares about you."

The alpha inhaled deeply, "Stiles hasn't cared about me in a long time."

"God knows I'm not taking his side," Cora surrendered her hands, "I'm just telling how I see it."

"You haven't seen Stiles in months." Derek stated, forgetting to mention that he hadn't either.

Ignoring the smart retort, Cora shook her head, "Don't say I didn't warn you."

          Derek said no more, walking out of his loft glumly. If Stiles had something on his mind, other than a book, he would know. Derek couldn't name a single thing that he didn't know about Stiles. Of course, he was forgetting that it had been a while. Ever since that chilly December night, Derek doubted he would ever know anybody like that again.

_____________________________________________

So soon? Why yes.

It's only like a page so apologies, but you'll be fine.

This is an altogether short fic so prepare for more obnoxiously brief chapters. 

Another flashback will be the next chapter.