Standing In Front Of You

Stiles' fingers tapped anxiously on his steering wheel. Every few seconds he would glance around the premises, accounting for any Derek sightings, but there had been none as of yet. He might not even show up, Stiles considered, but wondered why Derek would agree to meeting and then decide to blow him off. Well, Stiles knew why, he just hoped that would not happen.
         The Fairmont Hotel was a very geometric looking building, a beige and an almost unrecognizably pale pink coloring to its triangular shaped structure. Out in front was a large area of pavement reserved for fountain spurts of water that children and their families could play in. Near that, but relatively far from the hotel entrance was a plain green field with a single hanging tree. it overlapped a partial section of the parking space in front of it and that was where Stiles resided, waiting for Derek to show up.
        Seeming to be right on cue with Stiles' wishes, as he always had, the boy's phone buzzed. That particular ding indicated a text message. With the caller identification of Derek Hale, Stiles' heart jumped, deciding whether it wanted to be excited or broken.

Ultimately, he went with excited as the text read, "Jeep?"

Stiles replied with a casual, "Yes."

         The boy's heart pounded. He was so scared he could hardly breathe. A brief thought occurred to him though; if he were to hyperventilate before Derek showed up and die, would the wolf be more disappointed or relieved? Then, he flashbacked to all the times he feared something fatal had happened to Derek- feared that the wolf would arrive home with an injury that he could not stitch or bandage up. Stiles' heart rate settled slightly, curious as to if and how the wolf could have rid himself of that much dread and ingrained worry.
         Stiles glanced around the premises once again, this time, however, catching sight of Derek parked right beside him. Stiles noticed he did not step out of a black Camaro, but a different car. Stiles was no expert and could not identify it, but still wondered what happened to the vehicle that held some of their most intimate memories.
         Stiles stepped out of his jeep, body growing slightly queasy as Derek approached him. He looked the same yet astonishingly different- more broken and untrusting. Stiles took a step forward, tremorous hands inserting themselves into his hoodie pocket.

Despite every greeting Stiles had considered, all he managed was a one-word statement, "Derek."

         The wolf only nodded, one of his own hands in his leather jacket pockets. Perhaps they were shaking too. For a minute, although seemingly longer, the two just stared at one another, neither uttering a syllable. That was until, like the first time they kissed, Stiles found himself forced to make the first move. In this case, however, it was simple conversation.

"How have you been?" asked the boy awkwardly.

Derek did not appear to object, however, seemed as equally uncomfortable with the question that had so many answers yet just one, "Fine."

What a stupid thing to say, Stiles cursed himself, try again, "What about Cora? Does she live in Oakland with you?"

Derek nodded, "Yeah, until she goes to college." Stiles pressed his lips together, unable to think of anymore questions. Luckily, Derek stalled as well, "Isaac, how's he doing? Ya' know, with everything."

Stiles almost forgot that Derek used to be Isaac's alpha. He supposed giving Derek up meant other people lost him too, "Yeah, we get by." he said, "There's not much going on, which now that I said that means I jinxed it, but whatever." Derek didn't mean for them to do so, but his lips curved, Stiles' heart skipping a beat. Luckily, Derek wasn't listening, "Are you working?"

The wolf made a sort of shrugging gesture, "Not really, sometimes. It's more of a contract thing."

Stiles raised his eyebrows, "You're not like a hitman, are you?"