Chapter 4

The fourth Inhuman

Melanie's POV

The doctors were shocked by Hayden's miracle but they weren't the only ones everyone was shocked. After a half an hour we all went our separate ways leaving the hospital. Sage left with Isaac Katrina left to work, Hayden went with Rose, and I was heading home. I jumped into my black wrangler and backed out of the narrow parking space. Before entering the highway I put on sunglasses I had hanging from my rearview mirror, turning onto the bumpy road I slowly press down on the accelerator. I grab a quick glance at the speedometer and watch it as it gradually gets up to sixty five then seventy all the way to eighty. I wanted to get home fast, I've been working later than usual and he's been calling me in more often, and haven't been sleeping well, I am so exhausted. As I'm driving the wind is blowing my hair everywhere,

I pull my pale knees up to the bottom of the steering wheel and hold them there

I pull my pale knees up to the bottom of the steering wheel and hold them there. I pull my hands off of the wheel and slide a black hair tie off of my wrist, I quickly put my hair into a messy ponytail and place my hands back on the wheel. My foot eases off the gas pedal and I turn the wheel sharply into a long rocky driveway. I pull up into the garage and put the jeep in park. I sat back for a minute then headed inside, when I entered the living room the first thing I notice is the giant pictures from the wedding.

"I'm home," I call through the house knowing that Luke will be home.

"Finally!" He cheers coming from the kitchen.

"I know it's been a really long day I could use a nap," I lay my head on his chest.

"How's Hayden?" He wraps his arms around my waist and lets his chin rest on the top of my head and since he's barely taller than me he stands on his tippy toes to do this.

"She's perfect nothing wrong," I try to say without a shock tone in my voice.

"That's good," he lifts me head up and looks into my eyes.

"I'd love to stay for a bit longer but I need to go take care of the animals knowing you probably didn't do that," I smirk at him.

"No sorry about that," he apologizes with his cute Australian accent.

"I'll be back," I laugh at him and give him a kiss on the cheek. Luke and I live on a farm on the outskirts of town we have cows, sheep, horses, dogs, and pigs. Somehow with my job being a CSI agent and Luke working for the CIA we're able to take care of all the animals. Actually I take care of them Luke does nothing besides taking one of the dogs with him when he goes for a run or walk.

 Actually I take care of them Luke does nothing besides taking one of the dogs with him when he goes for a run or walk

We also own three cars and a private jet, it's a pretty sweet life there's really nothing more I could ask for. I go through and do the usual then head back to the house hopefully to take a really long nap. I get so close when I get a call from my boss.

"Melanie I need you to come check a scene out from last night it happened in an ally between the jewelry shop and the animal shelter, you know where it is right?" My boss demands.

"Yeah I know where it's at I'll be there in about thirty minutes I just got home," I sigh hanging up. I run back inside and tell Luke I have to go back to work, then I jump in my car and head there.

When I arrive at the scene I can see my partner Conner waiting for me, and from my car I can see the dead body laying on the ground. I parallel park between a yellow mustang and a light blue minivan and I head to the scene.

"Hey Conner!" I smile and wave at him.

"Hey Mel, you ready to check this out?"

"You bet!" I try my hardest to be cheerful because if I'm grumpy then time will just go by even slower. We walk down the dirty stinky ally and take a look at the body. It's a young girl with strawberry blonde hair and dark blue eyes. She had freckles on both side of her checks and a mole right under her left eye. When I took a look at her head I noticed three bullet hole.

"Man whoever it was that murdered her really wanted her dead," I say pointing out the three holes in her head.

"Yeah but that's not the only thing he did to her look at the ground," he points to a huge pool of blood. I look at the blood and turn the body over, then I pull up the back of her shirt and cover my mouth in shock.

"What the hell is that," Conner says disgusted with the sight.

"It looks like some animal attacked her," I say as I look at the claw marks that are deep enough that I can see her spine and the go all the way down her back.

"Move away from the body," we hear a deep voice say from above us.

"Sir you need to get out of here," Conner stands up and looks at him, then he pulls out his gun and pulls the trigger.

"Conner!" I scream as he falls to the ground. I pull my phone out an cal 911 and as the man turns to leave he shoots two bullets my direction, but before the bullet can enter my body it stops right in front of me and falls to the ground.

Hey guys sorry it took a while for me to update I hope you enjoyed this chapter I am almost done introducing all the main characters. I wanted to let you know that the 1 main character is Hayden I didn't want to confuse you guys with all the different chapters so sorry about that! Please vote and comment thanks!😊