Hospital visit

Hermione sat on the bed waiting for Severus to return from speaking with Minerva. Her hands were shaking and she was staring at one spot on the floor for what felt like forever.

The door creaked and Severus stepped in. She moved her face to look up at him and he gave a quick weak smile before saying "she has gotten professors Flitwick and slughorn to come and fill in for us while we are away. She said we can take as much time is needed."

Hermione heaved a heavy sigh of relief and Severus came to kneel in front of her. "It's going to be alright Hermione. This will be a hard time, but you will be able to get through it."

Hermione leaned down pressing her lips firmly against his. Her cheeks were wet from the tears but Severus didn't care. He placed his hands on her hips and deepened the kiss in which he allowed her access deeper into his mouth. For a small moment, he thought he felt her smile.

She pulled away slightly leaning her forehead against his. He wrapped his hand around hers and helped her stand. They moved slowly over to the fireplace and stepped inside. With a handful of floo powder, Severus said in a loud voice "granger residence" before they were sucked into nothingness.

As quickly as it had started, it stopped. Hermione's feet were firmly planted on the floor of another fireplace and she immediately stepped out. She looked around and began to climb the stair up to her old bedroom. Severus followed with their suitcase in tow.

Hermione shut the door behind both of them and Severus laid their belongings on the bed. She brushed away some stray hairs and looked at Severus with a blank expression. "Shall we go?"

"Hermione, we just got here."

"Well mum is waiting at the hospital and she must be quite lonely. I want to go and see her now."

"Alright." Severus said shocked because of the tone of her voice. "Let's get changed."

He opened their trunk and he pulled out a pair of jeans and a red blouse for her, and black slacks and a black button down shirt for himself. They changed in silence. They both laid their robes carefully on the bed and Hermione exited the room first. She went to the kitchen where there was a small set of car keys in a bowl on the counter. 

In the garage, was a silver Volkswagen Golf that belonged to her father. Her mothers car was missing but obviously parked at the hospital. Hermione slid into the drivers seat while Severus occupied the passenger. They pulled out of the driveway and made their way to the hospital in silence.

"Oh Hermione!" Hermione's mother rushed to hug her when she walked into her fathers hospital room. "He has been asking for you." They both looked to see Hermione's father sleeping noiselessly in his bed. He had tubes for oxygen in his nose and an IV running in his arm. He looked very tired.

Hermione slowly made he way over, leaving Severus in a corner, and put a hand on top of her fathers. "Dad?"

He gave a low groan and slowly opened his eyes towards his daughter. "Her...Hermione?"

"Yes dad it's me." She gave a weak smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Oh just fine." He sent out weakly but Hermione didn't smile at this. Her mum pulled up a chair behind her and Hermione sat down still holding his hand.

Severus stood silently watching as his wife sat gent long caressing her fathers hand. He listened carefully and heard her humming a slightly familiar tune. He had learned not too long ago that what she hummed now was what her parents would sing when she was upset as a child. He watched as she began to get choked up and tears slowly streamed down her face. Her eyes were already red and puffy and this was not helping.

Severus walked up behind her, placing his strong hands on her shoulders and looking down at his father-in-law in such a frail state.

"Severus?"

"Yes sir?"

There was a long pause before Hermione's father gave a very weak smile and said "thank you for taking care of my daughter."

This caused bother Hermione and her mother go over the edge. They both burst into tears with several loud sobs. Hermione leaned her face into Severus' torso and mrs granger put hers into her hands.

Severus held Hermione a little tighter. "It's been an honor"