Home again

Hermione was putting the last of her clothes into her trunk when Severus walked out of the bathroom tossing her toothbrush at her.

"You wouldn't be getting anything from me if you forgot that." He said giving her a small peck on the cheek.

He was still unusually underdressed in just his black trousers and white button down shirt. He was so relaxed here, Something Hermione only saw in their own home. He rarely ever walked around their private chambers in anything less than his teaching robes unless it was time for bed. He was always on alert for when Minerva would come knocking with some emergency.

"I wish we could stay longer. I hate leaving her like this."

"your mother is strong. She'll be fine."

"I know it's just... Oh Nevermind."

Severus snapped his trunk shut and proceeded to put his black robes on. Hermione watched as he did the buttons of his vest that went all the way to his neck.

"Stop staring woman!" He barked when he noticed her.

"What?!" Hermione blushed a little and continued to push clothes into the already stuffed trunk. "Do you have any more room in yours love?"

"I told you not to bring all of that."

"I know but you just never know when you're going to need something."

"No. I don't have room."

"You're lying to me."

"So what if I am?"

"Sev!" Hermione laughed "please!"

"Fine, but you have to unpack everything when we get back to the castle."

Hermione shook her head in annoyance. "Your clothes would never be put away if I didn't." She reached across the bed and threw some blouses into Severus nearly empty trunk. She sighed again as she closed the two and gently moved them from the bed to the floor.

"Hermione?" Came a call from downstairs "Hermione! Severus! Your tea is ready!"

"Coming mum!"

Severus rubbed his face and placed his usual scowl there. He looked tired but would never say anything. She knew he was ready to get back to work. They were both worried about the amount of work that awaited them back at the castle. "Let's go." He said picking up the trunks and then suddenly dropping them. "What did you put in here? Rocks?!"

"I'm just bringing a couple books back." Hermione smiled.

Severus glared at her and picked up the heavy trunks again and proceeded out of the bedroom and down the stairs where he placed them in front of the fireplace.

The kitchen smelled of freshly brewed tea and warm biscuits. Hermione's mother stood in front of the oven watching them carefully.

"Mum, I've never seen you burn anything before. You don't need to worry."

"You were always away at school! I've burned plenty."

Hermione chuckled and pulled three teacups gently out of the cupboard. She picked up the kettle and poured the warm liquid into each cup. She placed two cubes of sugar in her own but handed the untouched tea to Severus.

"Now you two" Hermione's mother said as she pulled the baking sheet out of the oven and placed it on the counter."I expect plenty of owls from you. Things might get a little boring around here now."

"Don't worry mum, well write. I promise."

"And Severus, no more yelling at my daughter."

"Someone has to keep her in line."

"We both know she'll just do whatever she wants. Your efforts are worthless."

Severus scoffed in agreement and slowly sipped at his tea. Once his cup was empty, he went to the sink to thoroughly clean it out and place it back in the cupboard.

The time had come for them to leave. To return to Hogwarts. Hermione cried a little as he hugged her mother and watched Severus give her a stiff hug as well. "I'm going to miss you mum. "

"Well then come back more often. I'm always here." She kissed Hermione's forehead and then tapped her shoulder gently. "Now get a move on. I assume you have a mess to clean up."

Hermione gave her another tight hug and stepped into the fireplace holding severus' hand. "Hogwarts" he said loudly and they were pulled into nothingness.

As soon as her feet hit the ground, her knees gave out. She began to fall to the floor but a strong hand grabbed her waist and led her to the couch of their sitting room.

"How is it that some days you are perfectly fine in the floo network, and others you seem as if you've been hit by stupify?" He said sitting down and leaning her back against his chest.

"Excellent question. Let me know when you figure it out?" She leaned her head back as far as she could and shut her eyes while rubbing her temples. "I hate that blasted network."

Severus placed a gentle kiss on the top on her head and they both sat in an enjoyable silence long before there was a knock at the door. "Come in?" Severus said looking down at a half asleep Hermione.

Professor McGonagall slowly poked her head through the door before entering completely. Hermione sat up and gently rubbed her eyes.

"So good to have you back. I'm so sorry about your father Hermione. Anything I can do?"

"That's sweet Minerva, but I'm alright. Thank you."

She took a seat to the side of the couch and began to discuss everything that happened while they were gone. Severus groaned when she informed him that not a single thing had been graded and there was a nice stack awaiting him in his office. Hermione knew professor Flitwick would have done anything possible to make things easier so she smiled knowing everything would be complete for her.

"Before you leave Minerva, I was wondering if I could ask you something." Hermione said giving a sideways glance at Severus.

"No. Hermione we are not discussing this now. Thank you Minerva. That will be all." He said sternly waving his hand to allow the door to open.

Minerva gave them both a confused look before deciding not to ask any questions. She stood and gave them a quiet smile and nod and left them alone with Severus glaring down at his wife.