Chapter 1

I sit on a bus stop bench in Manchester, waiting for Phil to arrive. It's quite cold, so I'm wearing a black hoodie to keep me warm. I check my fringe in my phone screen and tap my feet anxiously. I can't believe that I'm only minutes away from meeting Phil. It's so surreal. I hope he likes me as much as I like him. I hope he doesn't think I'm weird. 

A few minutes later, I can spot Phil walking towards me down the pavement. I stand up and smile brightly, making my way towards him. All worries of what he will think of me melt away, because I know that I'm about to meet my best friend for the first time, and it's the same for Phil. The closer we get, the better I can tell it's him. His hair is black and his fringe falls messily over his face. But his eyes are what stand out to me the most. His eyes are the bluest things I've ever encountered. I could swim laps in those eyes.

Finally Phil and I are only a few feet away. One foot away...several inches away...5 inches...there is now no space between Phil and I. I hold him in a bear hug, never wanting to let go. When we separate, we give each other the happiest smiles we've ever worn. "I'm so glad I can finally meet you Dan.." Phil whispers to me. The words send warmth to my body. Phil's voice is very deep and his accent is quite northern. The two qualities blend to make perfect, soothing balance.

"It's good to meet you too, Phil." is all my weak voice can manage. I'm on the verge of tears right now, but I can't let Phil see that. "So what are the plans for tonight?"

"I thought maybe we could go to the apple store and get Starbucks, then head home to film PINOF. Sound good?" Phil asks me as we walk down the pavement. I nod and we head in the direction to the apple store. We walk silently side by side with not much to say for a few minutes, until suddenly Phil's hand brushes over mine. I can feel myself blushing as I accept his hand, looking down at our now intertwined fingers. I look up to meet his blue eyes and warmth fills my entire body. All I want to do is kiss him, but I don't know how he will react. Instead, I just give him a warm smile and we continue down the sidewalk.