Chapter two

The drive felt like hours. I don’t know how long went by, I could tell she needed the feed. So did I to be honest, I turned round the corner and saw the sign to New Jersey. I glanced over at Rosie, she was smiling widely. “Are you ready?” I asked her smiling. She nodded to me, we have been waiting a long time to come here.

“Um… where are we going to stay? While we’re here” I hadn’t thought of that. I guess we would have to go to a hotel… but we haven’t got much money. That’s it! I had an idea.

“We’re going to stay in a home, a nice home not some shabby hotel. It has to be somewhere middle class, nothing too pricey so we have a chance to find someone who won’t be too important.” I told her, she looked around the street to find somewhere and I looked around too.

We found a little house in a corner of a junction, Rosie quickly pointed it out and I drove over. The house had ivy covering all of the front and the door looked like solid oak. I parked up the car outside and slowly walked up the path towards the door. You could see the paint only just start to peel off, the garden had dead flowers on either side. Rosie went up to some black roses and began to smile at them, I know she like the color black but it was weird how much she did like it. “Rosie stop it” I ordered her.

“But… it’s awesome, it’s black AND a rose.” She smiled at me and I just glared at her. I walked up to the door, I saw a knocker on the door and tried it. I felt Rosie walk up behind me. The door opened to reveal a middle aged man, he had brown hair graying at the sides and dark grey eyes. He looked at us and I smiled sweetly, “sorry to bother you but our car has broken down, could we please use your phone? We haven’t got ours on us” HE stared me up and down then looked behind me at Rosie.

He opened the door more and we walked in, he waves his hand in the kitchen and we walked in. I picked up the old phone and started to dial a fake number. I could see Rosie eye up the man greedily, she needed to control herself. I tried to keep it cool.  “So, do have any family? I’m sure you do, you look the type of guy who has the girls loving you.” I know what I am doing, I’m trying to pick up a conversation with him so he will can see if he is cared about or not. He shook his head and looked down.

“I haven’t got any one. No-one really likes me.” I saw Rosie walk up to him and put her hand on his shoulder. I joined her and we both in sync quickly pulled a part of his body and began to drain him. He gave out a small moan of pain then started to go limp. His body went down to the ground gracefully and he turned pale steadily. We followed his body as it lay on the floor, I looked up and saw Rosie pulling away. I drained the last of the blood and pulled away. I picked up his body and took it out and buried it in the garden, behind the shed there. It was dark but I could see very well in this type of light. After I had done that I walked back in and saw Rosie in the kitchen checking what was in the cupboards.

“Anything good in?” I asked her, she shook her head and I walked through to see what was I old pantry. A spider crawled down from the ceiling hovering there, I felt like it was watching me. I watched it as it slowly went up its web to the ceiling again, not much was in the pantry. I closed the door slowly then joined Rosie who had just walked into the lounge. I sat down next to her and stared into space thinking, what now? What could we do now we’re here? I turned to Rosie to see her shaking a bit, I held onto her hands and she looked up at me. “Rosie? What’s wrong? “ I looked into her eyes so I could tell if she was lying or not.

“What did you do with the body? I don’t want to be chased out of town.” I looked at her for a second, I could sense she was worried and could tell she was scared.

“It’s fine. I've buried the body in the garden behind a shed there, it’s very deep and only really nosey people will find it. Trust me nothing will go wrong, this time we will do things right.” We ended up spending the rest of the night in the lounge Rosie fell asleep on the sofa, I knew she would. It’s been hard on her lately, with all the worry she has only just coped. It turned to midnight and I decided to get some rest too, I lay down on the other sofa and drifted off into the first peaceful sleep in months.

I woke up the next evening to the sound of a cry coming from the kitchen. I quickly ran to the kitchen to find Rosie draining a man of his blood again. He had messy hair and dirty clothes, no offence to the man but he looked like he lived on the street. He began to go limp in her arms and she let him fall to the floor. I could see his chest lift up and down. “What do you think you’re doing? Where is he from? What time is it?” I began to panic, she can get us caught if she’s not careful. She looked from the man to me then walked towards the other side of the kitchen where I could see a cooker.

“He’s homeless. I found him on the street he has no-one I checked. It’s around five in the evening and I was hungry…” she started to think, and then carried on “… I think that is all of them answered. Drink up. You look in more need of it then me.” I scanned the room to see if there was any more people she was hiding from me. “There is no-one else just him” she sighed obliviously annoyed a bit at me for assuming she had done something wrong. She had though; she had gone hunting without me. What if she had gotten caught or lost? She had less practice then me at it, I knew more than her. I walked over at the man and stared at him wondering if I should or not. If we have too much we will end up getting to greedy.

“No thank you, I’m ok.” I walked out into the garden and started to find a new place for the new dead guy. I looked back into the kitchen to see Rosie finishing him off. I walked round to where the owner of the house was buried and started to dig. I finished digging him up to see his body already rotting, the stench was horrible I couldn’t believe it could smell that bad after one night. Rosie brought out the body and placed it in, then began to put all the dirt back. I’m guessing this little patch of garden is going to be our garden of dead people. Hey, that could be it. Our little garden of the dead.