Chapter 29

After half an hour or so of riding, we come up to a beautiful, serene lake. Ducks are swimming over the deep water, and every once in a while a fish will jump up.

I steer Ezhno towards the water, and he walks up to his knees, but then stops, panicked. He spooks, and refuses to move.

"It's okay boy, it's okay," I whisper. Apparently, Ezhno doesn't like water. He stumbles backwards, and bolts away from the lake.

I just hold onto his mane and let him run it out. After he's worn himself out, I dismount, and let him graze a little, while I wait for Carter.

I start to think about Julia, and decide to text her. It might not be the smartest thing to do, but I did promise.

Jul,

I'm safe. I'm okay.

~T

That's all I put. I have to be vague, in case the cops are monitoring her texts.

I shove my phone back in my pocket when I hear Carter coming behind me.

"Are you ok? Ezhno really freaked out back there," he asks, concerned.

"Yeah I'm fine. I guess he just really doesn't like water," I reply, shrugging.

"So Carter, I saw something in your moms room yesterday that I've been meaning to ask you about- there was a picture of my parents and your parents. It looked like they were going on a trail ride. Do you know anything about it?"

"Yeah, actually. Oakville is a pretty small town, and my parents are social people. They know anyone with horses- I remember how upset my Mom was when they died. Our moms were really close," he explains.

"Wow. I didn't know any of that," I say, dumbfounded.

I climb back up on Ezhno, and say, "We should head back. I'm starving."

---------

It's been a long day, and now it's almost over. Beau is curled up in my lap, and Carter and I are sitting on the couch, watching some old western movie that I don't know the name of.

And then the phone rings. Carter goes to pick it up.

"Hello- Oh, hey mom- yeah, I'm fine- No, I haven't had anyone over- oh, good news! Yin Yang had her foal- yeah it's a girl. I named her 'Once Upon a Dream,' Dream for short- ok, great, see you then- love you, bye."

"I love how you took credit for my name," I mockingly accuse.

"What was I supposed to say? And by the way, bad news. Mom and Dad are getting back late tomorrow night, so we need to figure it out," he informs me.

"Can we do it in the morning? I'm so tired," I yawn groggily.

"Okay. Just go to sleep," he whispers.

I lay down on the couch, and start to drift to sleep. I don't notice that Carter drapes a blanket over me, and stays by my side till I fall to sleep.