Chapter Four - Welcome To The Madhouse

Chapter Four – Welcome To The Madhouse

Jonathan looked back at his sister as she twitched and whimpered in her sleep.

He watched her for a moment, noticing the subtle twitches and fidgets, along with the lone tears that were welling up in the corners of her eyes, clinging to her eyelashes.

"Coraline... Coraline, wake up..." Jonathan coaxed softly, reaching out to gently tuck a strand of brunette hair behind her ear. She twitches before her eyes fluttered open slowly, eyes identical to Jonathan's appearing, sparkling with fear.

"It was just a dream..." He assured her gently, helping her sit up and wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "You're safe here... no one is going to hurt you."

She nodded her head wearily, reaching up to hastily wipe away the stray tears falling down her cheeks. Jonathan watched her calmly, gently rubbing her back in attempts to soothe her. After a moment, she seemed to be relaxing.

"There... feeling any better?" He questioned, causing her to nod. "That's good. There's nothing to be afraid of. The commissioner paid us a visit while you were sleeping... delivered some news."

Coraline looked up at him curiously, silently prompting him to continue.

"Commissioner Gordon told me that your hearing is tomorrow. They'd like you to be there to help lock your captors away for good."

Jonathan reached out and wrapped his arms around his younger sister as she began to tremble once more. He knew that this was not a good idea, he knew she should have some time to receive theraphy or something of the sort before she had to face them.

But no, the commissioner had to have the hearing tomorrow. Perhaps it was for the best.

"I'll be right with you the whole time... there's nothing to fear."

~*~*~*~

Coraline clung to Jonathan's sleeve as they entered the bustling cafeteria of Arkham Asylum.

Jonathan often paid no attention to the inmates, but, this time was a little different, as quite a few of the lesser known inmates were eying up his sister in a way he didn't much care for.

"Who's your friend, Jonathan?"

Coraline jumped and let out a startled yelp as the red haired man appeared, causing her to hide behind Jonathan, who rolled his eyes. Edward must have just been brought in.

"This is my sister, Coraline, Edward. She's very easily startled, so if you could tone it down a bit, that would be lovely." Jonathan spoke, his voice showing off a rather passive aggressive tone, causing Edward to frown for a moment before looking over at Coraline.

"Well, Coraline, my sincerest apologies for startling you. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Coraline eyed Edward's outstretched hand for a moment, before hesitantly placing hers in it. Edward beamed happily and raised her hand up to his lips to gently kiss it, causing the girl to blush.

Jonathan growled slightly, and Edward got the hint, dropping Coraline's hand with a bashful smirk before walking over to get a tray and stand in line for food. Jonathan led Coraline to do the same, standing patiently in the line.

"So, Jonathan," Edward spoke up after a minute, pausing to grimace as the disgusting food was dropped on his tray. "How come you've never told me about your sister before?"

"She was presumed dead after her missing person's case was dropped fourteen years ago."

Edward looked up at Jonathan in surprise, though the brown haired man wasn't paying much attention as he got his and Coraline's tray filled.

Jonathan turned and headed towards one of the tables in the cafeteria, Edward following and setting his tray down as Jonathan did the same with his two. They were about to sit down when Coraline shrieked and was wrenched away from Jonathan.

Turning around, Jonathan clenched his fists when he saw Joker with one arm wrapped around Coraline's waist, and the other holding her wrist.

She was pinned with her back against his chest and his chin was resting on her shoulder.

"Well what do we have here? Our little Scarecrow's got a fearful little sister! Oh ha ha ain't that a stitch! How ironic!"

Jonathan didn't move, he could see that every gun of every guard was aimed at Joker. He could see the confusion on her face at the mention of 'Scarecrow' but, it was the true horror that crossed her face when the Joker whispered in her ear.

"Welcome to the Madhouse."