Chapter Five - Order In The Court

Jonathan sat beside a trembling Coraline in the courtroom.

She was anxiously clutching to the sleeve of his suit as she stared over at the men that had held her captive. They were glaring at her, which Jonathan knew only heightened her fear.

Jonathan turned and gave them a calm, but terrifying look, causing their eyes to widen. While he was no longer in his Arkham uniform, as they had allowed him to wear his suit, but, he was still chained to the desk so he couldn't attack those men if he wanted to.

Which, by all means, he definitely did.

"Is there anything Miss Crane would like to say?" The Judge questioned, looking down at Coraline who was toying with the hem of her knee length black dress. The shake of her head was so slight that the Judge barely saw it.

Jonathan looked down at Coraline, noticing the light tremble. He didn't have to be Scarecrow to see that she was absolutely terrified.

"What does the Jury find the defendant?"

Jonathan stood up, pulling Coraline to her feet as well and wrapping an arm around her shoulders the best he could with the shakles on his wrists.

"The Jury finds the defendant guilty of all charges."

Jonathan could see Coraline's eyes light up at the words, and she looked up at Jonathan, the slightest smile crossing her face.

"Tony Marks and Kyle Shawn, I sentence you to thirty years in prison with no chance of parole." The Judge spoke, finalizing the verdict with a bang of the mallet. Coraline grabbed Jonathan's hand as commissioner Jim unlocked Jonathan's shackles.

Coraline still looked nervously over at her captors as they were unchained from the desk, throwing her dirty looks.

"It's alright, they can't hurt you." Jonathan reassured her, to which she nodded.

His words seemed to relax her slightly, but she still watched the men warily as the officers led them into the middle and started to drag them out. The darker haired of the two snarled at Coraline, before attempting to lunge at her, only to be restrained by an officer.

Jonathan didn't even flinch, but Coraline shrieked and his her face in her brother's sleeve, her body trembling in fear.

The two men snarled at Jonathan, who gave them a smug look as he comforted his sister.

"It's alright, Coraline. I won't let them touch you ever again, I promise you." Jonathan reassured his sister softly, running his fingers through her soft hair. He felt her nod her head weakly against his chest, sniffling softly.

"Who knew you could be so kind, Crane." Gordon smirked as he watched Jonathan interact with his fragile younger sister.

"I can be kind when it comes to my sister, commissioner," Jonathan assured him with narrowed eyes. "Now, where will Coraline go? I doubt she'll be allowed to stay in Arkham with me much longer."

"Well, she's nineteen, legally an adult. She'll be given funds to start out with and they'll help her get a job and find somewhere to live."

At Gordon's words, Coraline's grip tightened on Jonathan's shirt, causing him to frown.

"She clearly doesn't want to leave, commissioner. The best place for her is with me, someone she knows. I need to stay with her to take care of her." Jonathan explained calmly, though Jim simply shook his head.

"You don't really have any say, Jonathan. It doesn't work that way, I'm afraid."

Jim Gordon felt his heart skip a beat at the smirk that then crossed Jonathan's face as the commissioner realized what he had said.

"You're... afraid, you say?" Jonathan chuckled, before shaking his head. "My apologies, commissioner, you've done me a great service, but, I have no choice but to do this."

Gordon's eyes widened, but before he had the change to do anything, Jonathan dropped the vile of toxin hidden in his sleeve to the floor, causing it to shatter and spill into the room as a thick orange fog, causing everyone to cough, before they slowly began to witness their fears.

Jonathan wrapped his arms around Coraline and pulled her out of the room, dropping small pellets of toxin whenever someone tried to step in and intervene with their escape.

Though there was one thing that Jonathan hadn't thought of when he planned this on the fly escape, and it had potential to be its downfall.

Coraline wasn't immune to the toxin.