True Feelings

Y/N pov
I listened so intently on what Link was saying that I realized I was holding my breath.

"The most important thing I learnt during my travels, my time away from you, the time I couldn't be with you. I learnt that I have to be with you to be happy, I need you to be with me, and I don't ever want to live without
you... I need you.

"L-Link... I-I..."

Link leaned in closer so that our faces were only inches from each other and when he spoke, his voice was low and dry.

"You feel the same about me, don't you?"

I instantly felt my cheeks burn and my heart started beating wildly.

"I-I ... "

"You don't have to answer that question. I see the answer buried in your hesitation, I hear it in your voice, see it in your eyes...

"Link, what are you saying? We've always been friends...haven't we?"

"Don't deny that you don't feel the same about me."

"Link are you saying we should be more than just friends? Because I don't know if-

"I'm saying you need to trust your emotions. At least try... Please?

Why was Link telling me this? He wants to be more than friends with me? Why? Has he always felt this way.

I turned away from him.

Do I really want this? What happens if this doesn't work out? Our relationship will be ruined because if this doesn't work out and it would be so awkward to go back to being friends and we would eventually drift apart.
Do I want to take that risk?

"Link, it's getting late. You should leave, we'll talk again tomorrow."

"Would it be too much if I stayed for the night? You know, like old times."

"Link, I think you should go, you can stay another time. I just don't feel up to it tonight."

"Are you sure that's the reason? Are you sure it's not something else?

"Link! I told you why! Now leave!

"Alright, but consider my words. Please. I need you to think about this really hard, for me... Please..."

I could clearly hear the confusion, the disappointment, the sadness and regret in his voice as I watched him reluctantly step out the door, gone to spend the night alone.

***

I sat alone taking in everything that had happened, remembering the past. Link was my best friend who l had missed for so long, if so, then why did l act the way l did upon his return? Was l not grateful to finally have him back? 

There was a lot of questions but not many answers and l felt as though l still needed more time to sort out my feelings. Things between the two of us have been rough and l intended to make it right once l understand my true feelings.