Chapter 2

I opened my eyes and seen I was in a hospital room. I tried to sit up and I felt like I had just been hit in the head with a hammer. "Ah I see your woke Miss Rideuax." I heard. I looked to my left and seen a nurse. "Why am I here ?" I asked her.

"Well you were dehydrated , your fever is above 104 , you have a sprained ankle, you have a stomach virus, etcetera etcetera ." she said as she walked to the closet.

"Really ?" I asked her. "Yes hun , when you passed out who I'm guessing is your coach called the ambulance an they got you in here quick." she said as she handed me another gown .

"Did y'all call my parents ?" I asked her. "Um.. yes and no one answered. So I was just gonna wait till you woke up to see if you could get ahold of them." she said.

"Do you have my phone ?" I asked her as I looked around the room. "Yes here it is along wit your other things." she said as she lifted my bag and sat it beside me.

I grabbed my phone and called my sister. "Hello ?" I heard. "Hey sis, uh do you know where ma is ?" I asked.

"I just dropped her off at home." she said. "She didn't get a call from the hospital ?" I asked a little irritated. "Yes but she ignored it." she laughed. "Why ?" she asked.

"Nothing um I'll talk to you later.. bye." I said and hung up. "Excuse me nurse ." I yelled.

"Yes ma'am." she said as she walked back into the room. "When can I go home?"

"Tomorrow morning , if your fever goes down." she said as she felt my forehead. "Maybe tomorrow afternoon." she guessed.

I groaned. "Alright thank you ." I said and laid back in the bed.

How hasn't anyone noticed I wasn't home ? Ugh I hate my family. No one ever notices me , but if I miss one day of school everyone is on my case.

I shook my head.

The hospital was very slow motion today. No one came to see me, Toby was stuck at a family dinner, and the food made me feel even more sick than I was.

I just wanted to be in my own bed in my own house ... well at least the house that I was in for now anyways.

"Hello Miss Rideaux , so I talked to the doctor and he said you can go home tomorrow if you get a lap or two around the floor." she said.

"I guess." I said as I smiled shyly.

she handed me my phone and I got out of the bed. she helped me tie the back of the gown and then she let me loose.

I walked downstairs to the nursery to see the new born babies. they were so cute and so innocent.

I just hoped all of them kept their innocence , and not end up in a miserable life like mine.

one of the nurses let me into the nursery. "Make sure you wash your hands before you attempt to touch any one of these little babies." she told me sternly.

I shook my head and smiled. I washed my hands in the small sink next to the nurses station and then walked near the babies.

"Hi." someone said. I turned around from the bright skinned baby I was looking at and seen who was behind me. it was one of the mothers. she was nursing her baby.

"Hi." I said and smiled.

"One of these bundle of joys yours ?" she asked me. "No ma'am, I'm only 16." I told her as I walked closer.

"Well age doesn't mean a thing hun, it's a fourteen year old in the room across from mine." she laughed. "But that's good you don't have any kids right now. You can live your life and enjoy bein a teen. by the way I'm Cathy." she said as she cradled the baby.

"What's her name ?" I asked as I looked at the baby an seen she had on a pink hat.

"Callie." she said as she looked down at her baby. "That's so pretty." I said as I looked at her.

"What's yours?" she asked me. "Mia." I said lowly. "Mia ? That's so pretty ." she said in a high voice.

I smiled at her. No one had ever told me my name was pretty. I mean it's not a very unique name. half of the world probably has the same name.

I asked my momma why she named me Mia a long time ago, and I didn't quite like the answer she gave me. She told me she picked it because she was tired of coming up with pretty names so she had the nurse pick a name and she picked Mia.

Awful right ? Well it's alright , not like I'm someone special to have a special name. "Miss Rideaux ?" I heard.

I turned around and it was the nurse. "Yes ." I answered. "Time to get back you have to eat dinner." she told me.

I smiled at her. "Bye bye." I told the lady. "Bye Callie." I said lowly.

I walked out of the nursery and back towards my room. As I got to the hallway where my room was I seen a guy on a stretcher.

"What happened to you ?" I asked him as I walked towards him. "I got shot what does it look like ?!" he snapped. I jumped at his tone of voice.

"Well damn my bad I was just seeing what was wrong wit you." I said , I was kind of sad that he snapped at me but I guess I deserved it. I turned on my heel an headed to my room.

"Man wait I'm sorry , it's just stupid questions make me irritated." he said as he shifted on the stretcher.

"Come on let's get you in here." the nurse said as he started to push the stretcher in the room across from me.

I walked into my room and climbed into the bed. I hated hospitals. Their beds were not comfortable at all ,they only had sheets no actual covers, and it was always cold as hell.

"Here you are." a black nurse said as she walked into the room with a tray in her hand.

she sat it on the table and pushed it I front of me. I took the cover off of the food and it was some type of burrito.

"Uh ... thanks." I said as I looked up to her. "No problem. I'll sneak you some french fries in a little bit." she said.

"Can I question you for a bit ?" I asked her. "Sure honey shoot." she said.

"Is the guy next door gonna be alright?" I asked her. "Of course sweetie. The bullet missed an artery in his thigh and went straight through. Don't be worried." she winked at me and left the room.

there cannot be a much worst day than this one. I hurt myself and I'm sick. plus I'm gonna miss the beginning of school and I know it.

I laid back in the bed and looked up at the celling. I slowly dozed off as the cool air blew against my face.

"Can this day just be over with" I thought to myself as I drifted off to sleep.