10

She crossed the street to her house and went inside. The smell of alcohol and puke that would usually hit her nose the second she opens the door was gone. Instead, it was replaced with a vanilla scent. She breathed it in and sighed.

Her mother's usual couch had been thrown on the wall but she wasn't there. If her mother wasn't here, who cleaned the house? The housekeeper only comes on weekends, unless, one of her parents called one.

Carly's heart skipped a beat. Clearly, she wasn't used to her mother disappearing off to nowhere, especially at a time like this when she was usually drunk and asleep.

She went outside and into the garage. She looked for her mother's car but it was missing. She must've went somewhere. Worried with the thought that her mother might get in an accident, she went back inside.

On her way to her room, she heard a faint giggle at the corridor opposite to hers, near her father's study. At first, she thought that her mother finally made peace with her father but what she saw broke her.

She stared in horror as her father, who was indeed in his study, was kissing a woman, half naked and straddling him, basically having sex with their clothes on.

Her father was smiling, definitely having pleasure in what they were doing. And her heart shattered even more than it already was. Because the thing that made an already broken family, is having a broken trust with one another.