CHAPTER ONE

"Run Ardy, run!" Henri exclaimed upon sprinting to another alley. Just as this day started, he already knew it was going to be an epic failure, compliments to another new job Ardro brought him in to.

"I thought she fell for one of my stunning smiles, so I went for the door! My plan should've worked!" Taking hold of the Class S equipments, Ardro clutched and explained as if his plan was flawlessly executed.

"Obviously Ardy the plan worked well until the alarms went off!" Weaving through an alleyway littered with junk and garbage, Henri jumped over a set of crates, splintered and wearied of rot. Rotten is an understatement to this city's landscape, more like decayed. One of the bright sides of being a scavenger is that upon getting used to being chased off by guards, you learn your path through the labyrinth-like turn-around of the city.

Ardro with his pale skin is a lot opposite to his likely best friend Henri. With great musculature, Henri has the bearings of an 18 year old with the age of 14. He's older than Ardy which he always rubs on, calling Henri 'Old Man Riri'. They've been working as scavengers in one city of the Philon Islands called Parajunk City.

"Off through that bridge Riri! I know a curve to the City Sewers, we'll lead them off right there!" After a series of evasive maneuvers by the pair, eventually their chase ran off to one of Parajunk's outskirts.

Ardro leapt from a brick wall, rolling as he descended in a crouch to break his fall. And in a blink Henri followed, falling as graceful as his friend did. Resuming their sprint, a small road widened in front of them in an east to west direction, the buildings around loomed in the city's destruction. Just right across the road was a worn bridge, the bridge was a stretch of old and weathered stones, decayed of age with a chance of crumbling over.

Unquestionably the area was abandoned except for a few scavengers lurking inside destroyed establishments. Scavenging is one of the desperate options the residents of Parajunk has in order to get hold of food tokens which were publicly traded for their scavenged goods.

Following Ardy's orders, Henri took hold of the surroundings, being able to observe is one of his effective tactics. Upon dashing across the road, the pair crossed the bridge boldly, ignoring the possibility of it falling over. Lucky enough, Ardro halted in the road once again, and immediately shifted his body in a sprint to the left.

A railed set of stairs caught Henri's eyes and quickly assumed Ardy would head there. The stairs were of old white tile, crusted with mud and dirt which led off to an underground sewer management facility beneath the wastelands of Parajunk. Henri always appreciated Ardy's talent in locating certain areas upon their scavenging operations, hence trusting him in this escape.

The echo of their steps bounced through the walls, each step Ardro and Henri made also shrieked as the mud covering the stairs were smashed under their feet.

"Do you even know where you're headed to?" Henri commented as the steps wove its way down like terraces of finely carved ivory, covered with grime and waste of this city's junk.

"Doubt I do man, just trust me." Ardro smirked upon returning his reply. A few minutes of jog later down the stairs, the two arrived in the landing, as their noses registered the filth and rotting scent of the sewers, Ardy led his way through the large circular open mouth of the sewers.

Henri paused as his ears heard the familiar sound of foot falls from the echoes of the stairs. Hell, they're still tailing us. Henri thought.