CHAPTER FIVE

"RECENT STUDIES COMMISSIONED BY THE SUSTAINING DIVISION HAS UNCOVERED THAT A PARTICULAR FLESH CAN BE FOUND INSIDE A MELANCHOID SHARD. THE SPECIFIC SHARD THAT HAS POPULATED THE WORLD SINCE THE CLEANSING INHIBITS A MICRO-ORGANIC CELL THAT LIVES INSIDE EACH CRYSTAL AND SOMEHOW DEVELOPS A SURVIVAL BY PRODUCING BLOOD IN IT'S DIAMOND-LIKE CRYSTAL COFFIN.--"

"--SAY WHAT?" Henri croaked upon hearing the news, the SCFM was a radio channel that can be easily read by any SDRADIOs. Some channels just report news of the shortage and low survival rates but SCFM was like an Encyclopedia of the Philon Islands. Everything that survived the Cleansing and that were recovered after is currently under the possession of the Sustaining Division. They make scavengers like Henri a well-informed scalawag, and a boy in hopes of raising their survival rate higher. A breakthrough of scientific chatter has amazed him yet it was so weird it might be from an alien-versus-humanity flick.

"I mean, what kind of organism lives inside a crystal substance mom? Isn't it a little bit of stuffy?" defended Henri. In this, Georgia managed a smile and continued on grooming pretty Nica. She looked like the shade of a tree that covers over Nica and protects her with her strength. Henri adored his mom, she was a tiny bit of everything that he admired in a lady.

When he was the only child and Heronica was inside Georgia's womb, her mom fought the negativity of the world with all the braveness in her heart. Every job worth having if it would be enough to feed Henri and a bit for herself will all be just fine after a long day's work.

"Haven't you noticed where you live Ri?" Georgia answered in a half-chuckling tone.

"Well, yes-- maybe, you have a point there Georg. But I'm talking about a possibility of a Cleansing happening again mom, it would be an issue." Leaning back the worn yellow leather sofa, Henri dug his back further in to relax his back. This suggestion woke a running time-bomb of memories inside her mother. Anytime and within any word it will erupt without further hesitation. Georgia missed Henri's father that much, after the retribution of the Cleansing took his husband away forever. In an attempt to pull herself back, she built a family with Henri and Heronica in her womb then survived the harsh reality of the wastelands.

"Do not speak plainly of the Cleansing like that Henri. It was a tragedy that woke up the world. Nature itself arrived with all her forces and reminded us all of her capabilities. She will not tolerate another intruder in her system easily once more."

"I'm sorry mom. I just thought it might be another bad sign of Melanchi radiation."

Georgia exhaled in a deep pressure-lessening sound. "I--I'm sorry son, it's just--I'm too stressed these days worrying about everything." She lowered her head as she moved in a quick motion of dropping on a bench, quite dissapointed with herself.

Henri stood too fast that his body almost outbalanced itself, he turned around from the sofa and knelt in front his mother facing her. This small gesture of affection warmed her mother's heart, Henri was the only man in her life now and it meant that he was left with the responsibility of taking care of Georgia. She was hardened by life as a sword sharpens and takes form by beating it with a hammer straight from the forge.

Georgia acknowledged Henri's actions by placing her arms around Henri. Dragging his shoulder inward which pushed her son's forehead to hers. People always say actions speaks louder than words, to Henri, an action is a language best spoken mutually. Actions are easily understood when both people share the same affection. A lot of words may tell her she'll be alright, thousands of reasons to tell her everything will be okay, but a single simple display of shared mutual love through actions embraces a soul.

Reassuringly Henri stood, while her mother still sat in front him and stared at her.

"We'll be fine mom, you and me and Nica? We're wolves. The same pack, the same strength and the same firepower. You told me once we'll stand firm through these all."

A bright ray of hope shone at Georgia and made her smile. His mom was good at quickly wiping the negativity all away. The doubting frown of disappointment melted off her worn tender face, the Georgia who survived to live through the Cleansing peeked through her tired, aching muscles. Then finally, embraced her only son.

"The treasure that you are to me is worth surviving for. Thank you, my boy." Like an engine pumping power, the intensity of her emotions rose and pushed out the tears out her eyes. Nica interrupted suddenly with a curious face and hugged her mother. See what I said? thought Henri. Nica spoke with actions fluently when it came to her mom. The chestnut color of Nica's fair skin contrasted with her pale grey eyes. Henri always thought of it's color as odd, yet as her sister wrapped Georgia with her tiny arms, they resembled the stars lighting up the dark skies.

=====================================