Chapter 18

Pacifica

"PUT ME DOWN THIS INSTANCE!" I demanded, trying to squirm my way out. No luck. Ugh. She should have listened to her butler when he offered her a self-defense lesson.

"Shut your filthy mouth, Northwest!" A man growled in front of her, pointing his finger at her. "Your family took everything from me. Now, I'll take yours!"

Agreements echoed between the criminals. The man threw me to a mud puddle. His people began to surround me, similar to sharks circling around a human. They were cracking their knuckles and sneering.

I was in a middle of nowhere, surrounded by dangerous criminals that could kill you at any moment.

"Where's her mommy and daddy now?" The man mocked. He raised his fist as he said that and I couldn't help but be disgusted at his brooked fingernails. Did he even polish them?

No, now is not the time to be disgusted at the man'a fingernails, no matter how revolting it was!

I closed my eyes shut, waiting for the blow. Yet, the blow didn't come.

A thud.

My eyes fluttered open rapidly, finding myself staring confusedly at a figure stopping the man'a fist with a ... wooden stick.

Wonder where he got that from.

The man growled again and raised his left fist. But before he could deliver the blow, the figure stopped him again. With a force, the stick pushed away the man, sending him to the ground not so far away.

Incredible.

Suddenly, blue flames engulfed the man in whole and disappeared along with the man. Without a trace. The man was gone.

... What just happened?

His men began to retreat. One by one, they all departed silently, probably still in a daze after seeing their leader disappear.

After checking my surroundings, I let out a breath that I did not know I was holding in. I just had a near death experience. Oh my quiznak. My legs were too weak. I couldn't stand up by myself. I needed someone.

It aches. Everything hurts. Everything hurts. Pain. Pain. Pain. Pain. French for bread. Bread. Bread. I want to eat a baguette. Baguette. It begins with the letter B. B. B. Blue. Blue. BLUE FLAMES!

That was when I realized I was not alone as I had thought.

"Um, Miss? Would you mind if ---"

That voice.
I instantly turned around and gasped at the state of my first friend, Dipper Pines.

His clothes were all battered. The ends burnt, leaving a foul smell. When was the last time he showered? My eyes wandered up to his face. He still had that lopsided grin, but his eyes were dark. He had seen many things.

"Thanks for saving me," was all what I had managed to say.

Dipper grinned.

"So, are you - wait, where are you heading to, Dipper?"

Said boy had already turned on his heels and were leaving her. Leaving her to this Forest alone!

He didn't respond.

"Dipper, wait!" I cried. With all my might, I ran up to him and grabbed his wrist. Dipper stopped. I expected him to turn around and fav me, yet he didn't.

He was looking anywhere but me, I realized. 

"What do you want," he mumbled out. 

"I want you to stay!"

"Nope, not happening," he retorted.

He was beginning to get on my nerves. "Dipper! Why can't you listen to me? I'm trying to have a serious conversation with you!"

"And I'm trying to subtly avoid it!" He spun around with such force, I lost my grip and collapsed on the ground.

Desperately, I searched for any sadness, any kind of emotion that I could see from his eyes. My search came out negative and my fears were confirmed

He was devoid of emotions.

Before I could do anything, he was already gone.

Gone.

• • •

19-2-19-6-25-4-16-15-10-17
25-9-3
21-23-6-19
15-5
23-22-9-3-4
4-9
21-16-23-10-17-19
(Combined Cipher)

• • •

Note: "I'm trying to have a serious conversations with you!" "And I'm trying to subtly avoid it!" 
is from TFR's Writing Prompt (Number 180)