3

I scrambled away from the table and kept on screaming, making Charlie jolt up in fear and jump away from me. The salt fell down on my plate with a clank and resulted in salt spilling all over my steak.

I managed to stop screaming, but my heart was hammering frantically against my ribcage, threatening to explode as I stared at the salt shaker, then flipped my eyes to Charlie. He had retrieved to a wall and was shaking everywhere as he sunk to the floor, clutching himself in panic.

Jesus, so I hadn't been totally prepared. I knew he was capable of doing things he shouldn't be able to, but telekinesis? They could've given me a warning.

They did, stupid. It was probably in the dossier you didn't read, because you wanted to 'get to know him in person.'

– Maybe I should rethink that decision.

After another moment or two of catching my breath and getting my pulse under control, I looked at Charlie again who was still shaking in a corner. He looked terrified, watching me like I was going to kill him.

Oh God, I must've scared the living shit out of him. But then again, he did the same to me.

"Ch-Charlie," I said, trying my best to keep my voice steady. "I-it's okay. You just... you startled me. I didn't expect you to..." I glanced at the salt shaker again. "I'm okay, I promise, nothing is wrong. I'm so incredibly sorry I screamed, I should've handled that much better."

He just looked at me with those big glowing magenta eyes, scared to his bones, shaking.

Great, Carly. You managed plant the fear of God in him on his first day.

"Charlie..." I said, taking a careful step forward. I noticed how his eyes dropped to my feet, watching how every toe bended. "Charlie, don't be scared. I swear, I'm not dangerous. You just... surprised me."

I took another step closer, but that was too much for him.

"No!" He shook his head and looked around for something – only God knew what – and then hid his face in his hands as if to shield himself. "D-don't come closer! I don't want to... I don't want to make you say that sound again."

Damn you, Carly, I thought to myself and cursed in my head. Real fucking good job. "Charlie, it's okay. That's understandable. Screaming scares most people, but believe me, there's no reason to be scared of me. I'm not going to do anything to you."

I was more scared of the things I now knew he could do to me.

He shook his head frantically again. "No... no..."

"Charlie." I took another step forward, carefully sinking down to my knees, hoping that if I came down to his eyelevel, I might seem like less of a threat. "Deep breaths, okay? Do you remember what I told you back in the facility when we just met? How deep breaths helps when you're nervous? It helps when you're scared, too."

But he just shook his head again. "No..."

"Charlie, look at me."

"N-no."

"Charlie. Please."

Carefully, he peeped out through his fingers, his magenta eyes glowing from the darkness behind them. When I knew he was watching me, I smiled.

"See? I'm not scared, and neither should you be. Come on, why don't we get up from the floor? I have something I really want to show you."

Scared, but now also riddled with curiosity, he slowly dropped his hands from his face and blinked a few times. "S-show me?"