여섯

i remember hearing about your breakup.

i kept in touch with a few-- less than five-- friends from high school. we all met up to grab some lunch and to celebrate the end of college finals, and somehow you were still the center of attention even after high school graduation.

"remember jungkook?" one of them said, with a piece of garlic bread in their mouth.

of course i'd remember you. the question was if you remembered me.

"what about him?" someone else asked.

"heard he broke up with that girlfriend of his. caught her cheating, or something like that." he said.

i would be lying if i said i felt bad for you.

don't get me wrong. i don't hate you. but something in the back of my mind was whispering "you should've known."

i felt like such a bad person. what kind of childhood friend am i?

oh right. one you probably forgot about.

⊲⊳

i remember when we used to walk home from middle school. we'd always stop by the convenience store and grab a popsicle.

but one day, you were really mad-- or sad. or both. you didn't talk the whole way to the store, and you didn't buy a popsicle either.

i asked you what was wrong, and you had exploded in my face.

"it's none of your business, okay? god, you're so nosey."

i felt tears prickle at the back of my eyes, but i looked at the sidewalk cracks as we walked home so you wouldn't see.

i heard you exhale and mutter an apology. you said that your whole taekwondo team had blamed you for knocking over the tower of wooden planks without telling them, but it wasn't you.

you were angry that they didn't believe you, and that they made you clean it up.

"i believe you." i said.

you looked at me with disbelief in your eyes. "really?"

i nodded. "of course. i'm your friend. i'll always be on your side and i'll always be there to help you."

you smiled at me for the first time in that walk.

"thanks. i'll always be there for you, too."

oh, how naive we were.

sorry, jungkook. i broke my promise, too.

but in all fairness, so did you.