Chapter 17

It took a lot longer than expected for Kate to reach the centre of the village. Following the river had been the best thing she could have done, although with the huge castle now in her sight she would have been able to get there pretty easily. Thinking back to her little checklist, Kate started to explore the village to see if there was anything she could buy to eat. She was so hungry by now; she was starting to feel sick and dizzy. When Kate reached the marketplace she stared in amazement at the sights and sounds around her. It was late afternoon but the streets were still filled with people buying and selling items, their voices so loud that they made Kate cringe away every so often. This was exactly what she needed, the busy hustle bustle of people, the sights and smells of various perfumes and soaps. Not to mention the food! When she spotted the stalls with food on she couldn't help but drool, they looked so delicious that she would have loved to just scoop them up and stuff her face with them.

There were pieces of meat, some raw and others being cooked along side stalls of various fruits and vegetables. Spices permeated the air, giving off a delicious scent attracting Kate's attention. She started towards the nearest fruit stall, dodging all the people in the hope she wouldn't get trampled. There was a little bit of pushing and shoving as Kate made her way across the marketplace, but not enough to knock Kate over. Looking at the fruit on the stall made Kate's mouth water, there was so much choice!

"What can I get for you, young lady?" a man's voice boomed from behind Kate making her jump. She span around coming face to face with the owner of the voice, a tall dark skinned man with short black hair and chocolate coloured eyes. He had a small smile on his face that intrigued Kate. She stared at him for a moment before answering.

"Oh, um," she started, slightly hesitant. Patting her clothing, she felt around for some money to buy something to eat but there was nothing. A small frown crossed her face as she looked up at the stall owner. "Sorry, nothing for me thank you."

Kate turned to leave, her head dropped towards the ground. She could kick herself for forgetting she needed money to buy anything! As she started to move away, she felt a hand grasp her arm and turned her around. A look of surprise crossed her face as she realised it was the stall owner that held her arm.

"Hold on a moment miss, just wait right there a moment." He turned around and strode away leaving Kate staring after him, rooted to the spot. He reappeared just as quickly keeping his hands hidden from view. Coming up beside Kate once more, he held out his hands offering several pieces of fruit from his stall. "Go on, take them," he offered. Kate started to take the fruit, hunger taking over before reluctance settled in. She took a couple steps back away from the man.

"Umm I'd better not, but thank you." Kate turned to leave again and was once again stopped. "Please, I cannot afford it." She shook her head, adamant that she would refuse. The man threw his head back and gave a barking laugh.

"I need no payment for them, I am giving them to you!" Kate was stunned. Never in all her years had she been offered anything for free, a small payment maybe but never nothing. As if anticipating her refusal again, the man took her hand and put the fruit in the palm of her hand before closing her fingers around it. "Life is made easier when everyone does their part."

At that, the man turned and left Kate where she stood in the middle of the market. She stared after him thinking about what he said. Yes it was true, when everyone does his or her little bit it can help so many. Kate could relate to that especially back home with her family but never had she experienced it with other people. Giving herself a little shake, she moved off back towards the fountain she had passed earlier. Glancing down at the fruit in her hands she took a bite and let the sweet juices slide down her throat. While she was eating, she turned her attention back to the people all around. It was funny how similar the market was to back home, yes it was busier and there were some different stalls but stripped down to basics, it was essentially the same: breads, cakes, meat, grains, linens, perfumes, and several craftsmen like her brother Peter selling their wares. While she was watching, she started to notice the little things, how the people spoke differently to what she knew and some of their words were strange, the stall owners were loud and a lot of them were quite rude, and the money that was being used looked peculiar.