Chapter 29

**A/N** Slight warning that this chapter has a fair few references to violence **

Three weeks passed and there was no sign of any rescue for Kate locked down in the dungeons. Although Joshua valiantly tried to stage a break out, it caused many problems for both Josh and Kate. Kate was moved to one of the most solitary and confining cells in the dungeon, with barely any space for her to move around and no one near to distract her from the pain of being in the dungeons. Her meals were also affected, becoming smaller and there were occasions where she was not given any foor whatsoever. All of this made her incredibly weak and unable to stop anyone from hurting her. Her spirit was finally reaching its breaking point.Joshua was on the receiving end of some similar treatment, however his punishment was in full view of the public.

The day after his failed rescue attempt, the King sent guards to drag Josh from his rooms at dawn, and in the early morning light he was stripped of his fine clothing before being bound and thrown into a gibbet. As soon as the door was shut and locked, the gibbet was raised and hung in full view of the public. A sign was hammered into the ground stating that he was a criminal and should be treated as such. Josh was disorientated, swinging high above the ground with no way of being able to move especially with his hands bound behind his back. The gibbet was a metal cage, large enough to hold a man but small enough that only a single person could be inside at any one time. It was not common practice for the gibbet to be used for holding a criminal before a trial, that is what the stocks were for. The gibbet was reserved for those who had committed acts of treason, mass murder or crimes of a more sinister nature, crimes that were listed on the sign standing in front of the hanging cage. There was no such detail on the sign in front of the Prince's cage, both confusing and causing outrage amongst all who saw him. Those who saw him could not and would not believe that their beloved prince could commit any crime that would warrant this kind of public punishment, and because he was caged up out of the reach of the people, Joshua was denied both food and water. If anyone was seen providing him with any comfort then their punishment would be severe, so only those willing to take the risk made any attempt to throw him scraps of food while the guards backs were turned.

Joshua was left hanging in the gibet for two long, uncomfortable days. He was beginning to feel the effects of limited movement and the lack of food and water. The third day began just as the two before. sunlight shining bright through the bars of his cage stirring him into wakefulness. The sound of marching feet and the voices of people from below him brought his attention back into the moment. Soldiers were marching towards the gibbet, forming a ring around his cage while two of the guards took up the task of lowering Josh down to the ground. Josh was then yanked out of the cage and forced to walk through the streets to the platform of justice by the keep of the castle. It was here that Joshua, Prince of Rynemona was to be punished for his crimes with the citizens to bare witness. The list of supposed crimes was read out to the waiting crowd. The list included petty crimes of thievery and drunkeness along with plotting against the King, organising a rebellion and the only true charge of an attempted jailbreak. The charge of treason and mention of rebellion caused the gathered people to murmur. Of all the things they believed the Prince to be capable of, rebellion had never crossed their minds. It was common knowledge that the King was a cruel man and that the Prince was often on the receiving end of his 'loving' attentions. If given the choice between the King and the Prince, the majority of people would choose the Prince any day, especially when rumours of the King's behaviour slipped out into the public and the most astonishing thing was that Joshua did nothing to stop his father or at least that's what the public believed. It was plain to see that the boy inside Josh still loved his father even if he didn't believe in what he was doing.

After the charges were proclaimed, Josh was given the chance to give a response. One chance to accept or deny the charges and upon his response, his punishment would be decided.