Chapter 1- Meet Rohan

Myra was surprised by the email, which was nice, because she wasn't surprised at much of anything anymore. The email read:

"Congrats, Myra! You were cast in that Action movie, No Second Chances, as Priya Shakbar, the younger sister of the main character (who is played by Aarav Malhotra!!!). Attached are some of the details that the director has told me about the movie so far—I'll come by sometime later this week to talk to you and your mother about financials and all that boring stuff. But don't worry, the filming doesn't start until about two weeks after The Club Wars ends. Again, congrats!"

It was from her agent, Trixie Dupree. Myra stared at the email for a few more seconds in awe.

She hadn't expected to get the part. She had never been cast in an action movie before. Her movie making experience had mostly been limited to friendship/romance type movies on the Hallmark channels. Brain fluff. Pure cheesy happiness in a film. So when Trixie had suggested she go to the private call auditions for No Second Chances, she had doubted she would get the part. Maybe she had had a strangely good reading.

"Myra!" a voice sudden said, snapping her out of her reverie. A hand was being waved in front of her face. "Myra McCaffery!"

Myra looked at the owner of the hand, amused. "I heard you the first time, Ardith."

"But you didn't respond," Ardith whined, tossing her dark brown hair over her shoulder.

"Stop checking your email during lunch," Evie teased. "What could possibly be more exciting than us?" She waved a carrot in front of Myra's face.

Myra smiled and slipped her phone back in her bag. "Sorry, guys. I like to keep up."

"She got an email from her agent," Jenna said matter-of-factly. She smirked.

Myra turned and gave her a fake glare. "Just because you're sitting on the same side of the table as me doesn't mean you have to sell me out!"

Jenna stuck out her tongue. Myra returned the gesture.

"Myra, we know you're a super cool movie star," Ardith pointed out. "You don't have to be all secretive about it."

Myra shifted uncomfortably. She wasn't being secretive, just humble. She didn't want to be that kid who thinks they're better than everyone just because they've been in a couple of movies.

"Oh my god," Evie breathed, "Rohan is walking towards us!"

"Seriously?!" Ardith whispered, looking up for a split second before covering her mouth with her hand and staring at the table. She silently screamed.

Myra rolled her eyes. "It's not that big a deal, you guys."

"How can you say that?!" Evie whisper shouted. "He's even probably coming over to talk to you!"

"Huzzah," Myra muttered. She had nothing against Rohan, of course, but her friends always freaked out whenever he was around.

"Okay, but you have to admit, Rohan is a beautiful specimen," Jenna said quietly, still smirking.

Myra raised an eyebrow. "Um, I guess? I don't know, I guess he's hot, I just don't see what all the fuss is about."

"How can you say that while looking at his jawline?" Ardith whispered dreamily.

Myra was about to make some retort about the stupidity of basing a boy on his jawline, but Rohan had arrived at their table. "Hey, Myra," he said smoothly. Evie and Ardith had gone completely silent, and even Jenna was oddly still.

Myra fought the urge to roll her eyes. "Hey, Rohan. What's up?"

He slid his hand through his hair. "Well, uh, my parents are having a dinner party this weekend, and your parents are invited of course, but I wanted to know if you wanted to come hang out with me during it? Like, I don't want to be attacked by adults asking about my grades and what I want to do as a job and stuff, you know the feeling?" He laughed.

Myra smiled. "Yeah, I get that. Sure! I mean, as long as I don't have something else going on."

A huge grin spread across his face. "Yeah. Awesome! Text me if you can, alright?"

"Sure thing," she replied with a smile. He walked away, still grinning.

The smile fell off her face. "Ugh," she groaned quietly. "I do not want to spend four hours with Rohan."

"Why?" Evie said incredulously.

"And why didn't you say no?" Ardith asked, equally in disbelief.

"My parents would probably have made me go anyways," I sighed. "They're so close to his family. I just really hope I have something."

"Or let me take your place," Evie added.

"I'm sure it won't be that bad," Jenna said.

"Yeah! You can always text us the whole time!" Ardith said chirpily.

"Or let me take your place," Evie repeated.

"Evie, I don't think you could pass as Myra," Jenna said dryly.

"Why not?" Evie said tilting her chin in the air dramatically.

"You're blonde."

"And?"

"Myra's Indian."

"Hm. Good point."

"Maybe you could go, Jenna," Ardith said idly. "You know, fellow Asians. It could maybe work."

Jenna was unamused. "Literally, Chinese and Indian are so different, that's just racist."

Ardith raised her hands in surrender. "Joke! I repeat, joke!"

Myra laughed. "Wow, you guys. So mature."

Just then, the bell rang to signal the end of lunch. The foursome stood up, grabbing their backpacks and slowly moving out of the cafeteria with the rest of the throng of students.

"Hey Myra," Evie said excitedly, "do you think you could invite me to the party too? Then you wouldn't have to be alone with Rohan for so long...."

Myra laughed. "Nice try, Evie, but I don't think that's how parties work."

Evie sighed dramatically. "Unfortunately, you're right. Curse social expectations."

Myra just shook her head, amused. "I can try to set you up with Rohan if you want."

Evie gasped. "You would do that? For me?"

Myra nodded and Evie squealed in delight. Myra chuckled. She had some special friends.