Chapter 8- Announcements

"Good morrrrning, students!" their overly peppy secretary said over the loud speaker. "If everyone could please give me your attention, the student council has a super special announcement for you!"

Myra looked up as the lunch room fell silent. She always found it amusing that people looking at the  ceiling when the loud speaker was on. It wasn't like they could tell you were looking. Then again, she did it too, so she couldn't judge.

"Hey, you guys!" Monica Steeplechase, school president, said happily. "I'm here to tell you all about the dance next Friday! That's right, not this Friday, next Friday."

Evie turned to her friends, flapping her hands like a bird and miming a scream.

"It's a fundraiser for the arts department, so make sure you pay the ten dollar ticket fee at the door and enter the raffle to win prizes," Monica continued. "I know I'll see you all there! Remember, that's next Friday. Thanks!"

The loudspeaker beeped off. The cafeteria exploded into chatter. Usually, everyone knew about dances months before they happened. This was a big deal. It was currently a Wednesday, so that was only nine days to get everything in order.

"Oh my goodness, this is so exciting!" Evie squealed. "We all have to go shopping for dresses together."

"Who do you think will ask you?" Ardith asked with a sly smile.

Evie blushed and pulled her hair over her shoulder. "That's unimportant."

"Yay," Jenna said sarcastically, "a dance."

Evie pouted. "Oh, come on, Jenna, you like dressing up."

"But what I don't like is standing in a crowded room for four hours listening to terrible rap music," Jenna shot back. She raised an eyebrow. "The least they could do is play some My Chemical Romance."

Just then, Rohan walked up to the table. "Hey, guys."

Evie turned beet red and her mouth fell open like a fish.

Jenna flashed him a peace sign. "Sup."

The bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. The girls got up and began walking out. Rohan fell into step with Myra. "So, Myra...there's a dance next Friday."

"Yeah...there is." An uncomfortable feeling crept into her stomach.

He shoved his hands in his pockets. "Are you...um, planning on going with anyone?"

Myra laughed nervously. "Uh, no? It was announced, like, two minutes ago." Her hands started trembling and she gripped the straps of her backpack.

"Do you...um, would you like to go with me?"

Myra fought the urge to cuss.

"Oh. Rohan, I..."

He looked at her hopefully.

Myra bit her lip. "Um...I just, I don't like you that way," she said apologetically.

"Oh," he said, his face looking like it was shattered into a million pieces. "That's cool. I get it, I totally get it. Yeah, that's fine."

Myra felt guilt clawing at her inside. "Yeah."

There was an awkward silence. Myra tried her best not to look at his crushed face.

"You might want to consider asking Evie," she said timidly.

Rohan ignored her and slipped into the crowd.

***

That afternoon, Myra stayed silent the entire bus ride. She couldn't stop thinking about Rohan's devastated face. She hadn't meant to hurt his feelings, but she really didn't like him. It would've been easier if she did.

Or if he never liked her in the first place.

"Um...Myra?"

Myra turned to Neil, who was fidgeting with the straps on his backpack. "Yeah?"

"Uh, so, I was just wondering...you know that dance next Friday?"

Myra's stomach twisted. This couldn't be happening. She swallowed, her heart beating wildly. "Yeah...I'm, um, I'm not sure I'm going to that."

"Oh. Well, if you do decide to go, I was wondering if you wanted—"

"Oh my goodness," Myra said suddenly, standing up. She laughed nervously. "My stop is here and I didn't even notice. See you around, Neil!"

She strode off the bus as quickly as she could.

***

The next day, Myra sat on her back porch, curled up in a blanket and watching Once Upon a Time on her tablet. She was trying desperately to relax, but her anxious mind continued to tug at the back of her thoughts.

"Hey."

Myra paused the episode and looked up. It was Bryn.

She took out her earbuds and sat up. "Oh, hey. Sorry, I look like a mess right now." She hastily took out her messy bun and ran her fingers through her hair.

Bryn laughed. "Nah, you're just as beautiful as usual."

Myra's heart leapt at that, though she wasn't sure why. She smiled shakily.

"How come you weren't at school today?" Bryn asked.

Myra looked up at her guiltily. "I was sick...?"

Bryn gave her a look.

Myra gestured to the steaming mug on the coffee table. "Look, I have tea and everything."

Bryn sat down on the couch. "Myra."

Myra sighed. "Okay, so maybe I'm avoiding the world." She repositioned herself so she was sitting with her feet on the ground.

"Why on earth are you avoiding the world?" Bryn asked, furrowing her brow. "The world misses you."

Myra's heart began beating a little faster. "Well...see, all these guys started asking me to the dance."

Bryn raised an eyebrow. "And?"

"And I don't want to go with them," she finished weakly.

Bryn chuckled. "So what's so bad about turning them down?"

"I feel so mean," Myra groaned, burying her face in her hands. "I don't WANT to hurt their feelings, I just...I don't like them. I wish I did, but I don't."

Bryn let out a slow breath. "Yeah. That's tough."

"But I don't want to accept just because I feel bad," Myra pressed on. "That seems meaner than turning them down flat. You know, if I accepted and then broke up with them like a month later. I don't want to lie either."

Bryn nodded. "You're doing the right thing. I promise. It may not seem like it, but I promise you, you are."

Myra smiled. "Thanks."

Bryn placed a hand on her shoulder. Myra felt a tingle go through her body. "But you can't just stop going to school. Avoidance isn't the way to solve problems." She smiled wryly. "And we miss you."

Myra looked down sheepishly. "Well...alright. I guess I can come back tomorrow."

Bryn clapped her on the back. "That's the spirit!" She stood up. "Well...I guess I'll get going then."

"You don't have to," Myra blurted.

Bryn paused and looked back.

Myra blushed. "I mean, you don't have to leave, if you don't want to. Like, I'm not doing anything important. But if you have somewhere to be, I totally get that, I just—"

"Okay," Bryn said with a smile, sitting back down. "What do you want to talk about?"