Ch. 37

Ch. 37
Who?

Ginny shuffled through the doors of the Great Hall, trying to ignore the looks thrown towards her as she tied her tie with bleary eyes. Her shirt was untucked, her skirt wrinkled, and she altogether looked like Death's walking form.

She'd stayed up all night reading of the Bond, trying to find out what the curse that had been used on her was, and who Cain had been talking to. Nothing came up, and she had fallen asleep with a heavy conscious and a pounding headache only to have the worst Vision yet.

Still, as she made her way to sit next to Cain, deliberately stepping to the side a few times so she was no where close to Harry when she passed him, it was better safe than sorry, she felt a pair of eyes drilling into her skull. She met Cain's gaze and he nodded to the door she just came from, where a figure leaned against the frame.

Katrin looked like a mess as well. Her eyes were bloodshot and rimmed with red, her arms crossed over her slim frame, and her hair hadn't been brushed that morning. It was still criminally straight, though slightly frizzy, and it bugged Ginny to no end. Ginny, who could barely run a comb through her hair without having to magically untangle it from her wild locks.

A hand locked around her elbow and a voice was at her side, "Go with Katrin, I'll meet up." And Cain walked by, acting as if he had only said "Excuse me" as he walked past Ginny. She looked down, ignoring the fact that Harry was staring at her during that very moment and what she was about to do would definitely seem suspicious to him, and walked towards Katrin.

"Do you have the Herbology homework?" Katrin asked loudly, as if she was talking over the buzz of voices.

Ginny played along, her eyes trained on the ground, "In my bag, shall I get it?"

"I'll come with you-" Katrin led them far away from the doors, "You're an idiot. Merlin, you look so guilty."

"Well, that's a because I am Katrina and it's not my fault that I'm upset." Ginny narrowed her eyes, noticing how the girl suddenly looked away from her gaze.

"Look, Ginny. You're in danger. We all need to talk. I assume Cain has told you what's happening?" Katrin crossed her arms over her body again, looking at Ginny out of the corner of her eye.

"He has. You're in on this too?" Ginny asked. The girl said nothing for a while, not until they neared an empty hallway where she suddenly turned. Ginny backed up, hitting a wall.

"Ginny, it's honestly better if you don't ask Cain any questions, okay? He won't even tell me anything." Katrin whispered, "Something is up with him and the girl from which he's getting this information, but I'm not sure if he likes her or if she is just a good friend..." Katrin looked down, "Funny how those things happen sometimes."

"Katrin, are you okay?" Ginny scrunched up her eyebrows, watching Katrin's stony expression. The girl took a deep breath, not meeting Ginny's eyes as she spoke.

"Things are happening, Ginny. Things that no one can control. You-Know-Who-"

"You can call him Voldemort around me, you know."

"Right, Voldemort's followers are attacking Muggles all over the place. But, I know that you've realized this."

In the back of Ginny's mind she saw spells hitting dry earth, and Muggles in army uniforms finding cover.

"Well, that's the least of our worries. You know that his inner circle is to attack the Ministry?" Katrin asked, her eyes blank.

"Yes, I know. At the end of the school year, right?" Ginny responded with her voice brittle, "Because, that's what matters. The Ministry. Not innocent Muggles losing their lives-"

"I'm sorry, Ginny, but sometimes you just need to shut up." Katrin rubbed her eyes, "Of course that's important, but not stressing as of yet. There is nothing we can do about that but there are things we can do about the Ministry attacking."

"Yeah, tell Dumbledore-"

"And let him tell the Ministry? And let them hurt you? Do you realize, Ginny, that you and Harry are the two most valuable people on this planet? If he found out that something is in your side of the Bond, they will try to rip it out with force." Katrin looked pained, "I can't let that happen."

"Why not?" Ginny remembered Katrin's eyes at the Yule Ball, her blushing face as Harry and Ginny walked down the stairs, her frown when Ginny held onto Harry tighter, "You like him." Anger laced Ginny's voice.

"What?" Katrin looked shocked, her eyes wide.

"You like Harry! That's why you're doing this! I bet you don't even care that I'll die!" Ginny spat. She didn't know what was wrong with her, the pain and hatred that she'd been harboring for a while was pouring into her words.

"Ginny, you're so smart, but you're a complete idiot." Katrin shook her head. Confusion came like a fog in Ginny's mind.

"What are you talking about?"

"I don't like Harry."

"Then... Ron?" Disgust laced Ginny's voice as she realized Ron had been standing with her and Harry.

"There isn't time for this, Cain will be here any minute." Katrin shook her head.

"You like Ron!"

"No, I am not attracted to oafs." Katrin took a deep breath,"I-"

"Hey girls!" Cain said from down the hall, jogging towards them.