o n e

anakin is always angry.

it's a strange thing, always being angry. it's indescribable, but it's always boiling under his skin, quiet. even when he's trying to sleep, it's there, making his fingertips twitch and his jaw clench.

for the most part, he can ignore it, but something about that fucker obi-wan kenobi makes it worse.

it probably isn't fair, calling him a fucker, considering anakin has never even exchanged words with the guy, but it doesn't matter. he makes him angry anyway. the fucking way he smiles at him when their eyes meet in the hall, or the way the asshole's pupils go dark as if he wants to fuck anakin into the next century. like, what the fuck is up with that?

anyway, anakin's anger. he doesn't know where it stems from, and though he's able to mostly control it, it's always there.

his jaw tightens at the thought, and he stares down at his hand, balled up in a fist. his fingernails are digging into his palm.

"anakin?"

he looks up. padmé. he paints a smile on his face. "hey, padmé."

she gives him a hesitant smile. "are you okay?"

anakin has known padmé for as long as he can remember, and he loves her with all his heart. she's his absolute best friend, even despite his evident anger issues. somehow, she almost always knows exactly what to say to calm him down. anakin is proud to say that though he takes his anger out on many people, never once has he taken it out on padmé.

"yeah. you make it better. pop a squat."

she rolls her eyes as she sits. "you say the dumbest things, i swear."

anakin can't exactly argue with that, consider the phrase pop a squat just left his mouth, so he shrugs, fumbles in his pocket for a cigarette.

"oh, ani, honestly?" padmé huffs. she hates his smoking habit, but it is what it is, a habit, so she deals with it. "you promised me you'd stop!"

"i did." anakin's smile curls up into a smirk. "for a week."

padmé fights back a laugh. "pathetic."

he beams at her in response, both rows of teeth showing, and she rolls her eyes again. anakin annoys her, of course, but that's just his nature. just then, obi-wan kenobi goes walking through the courtyard, and she sees anakin's jaw go tight. he nearly chews through his cigarette.

"you're still freaking out over him?"

"i'm not freaking out over him. he's freaking out over me. he stares at me like he's gonna eat me for lunch!"

padmé is smirking now. "he wants to fuck you, ani."

anakin chokes on the smoke in his lungs. "i'm not gay!"

"never said you were. i see it, though."

anakin turns to face her so fast it hurts his neck. "you see what?"

padmé stands up first so she can make a quick escape. "how badly you want his dick!" anakin's face goes from confused to surprised, and then teasingly angry so quickly that it makes her giggle. he tosses one of his unlit cigarettes at her, but she's too far away now. 

"fuck you, amidala!" he yells after her.

she turns around, grinning. "i think you'd rather fuck him."