n i n e

obi-wan is careful about bringing it up to anakin. he waits a few days, until anakin's trust in obi-wan has built up a little. then, one day, they're both sitting in obi-wan's bed. a blanket is loosely tossed over both of their shoulders, and anakin is so close to obi-wan that he's nearly sitting in his lap.

"so," obi-wan begins.

anakin shifts a little so he can look at him. "so," he says back.

"you want to know what i think?"

"when have i ever cared what you think?"

obi-wan pinches him. "don't be rude."

anakin laughs, rubbing the sore spot. "okay, okay. what do you think, oh wise obi-wan?"

obi-wan softens his voice. "i think you should tell padmé you're sorry."

anakin stiffens, drowning in rage for a second. "excuse me?"

"anakin, listen, i know --"

"no...no. why...why would you say that? why would i apologize to her? she's the one who went too far! she hasn't even reached out to me, and --"

"i know," obi-wan interrupts gently. he puts an arm around anakin and pulls him closer. "i know she's the one who upset you. however, you both are too stubborn to fix it, and you're not exactly guilt-free in the situation either."

anakin scrunches up his face. "i don't want to."

obi-wan shrugs. "okay. it was just a suggestion. continue not to talk to her, then." he goes back to his homework.

anakin shifts, frowning. "why did you have to say anything?" he whines.

"because you miss her," he replies gently. "she's your best friend, anakin."

it's true, of course. just thinking about her makes anakin want to cry. obi-wan continues taking notes, but anakin just plays with his pencil, unable to stop thinking about her now.

"go on," obi-wan urges gently. he takes anakin's phone off of his nightstand (where he put it, because anakin is far too easily distracted), and hands it to him. anakin fiddles with it, turning the backlight on and off and on and off again. "you don't have to. it's just a suggestion."

"no, i know. i...i will." he fiddles with his phone again for a minute, and then types a text: are you busy? i want to talk.

padmé: i'll be home in 10, i'll swing by your room if that's okay?

anakin finds himself smiling. yeah, sounds good.

"so?" obi-wan asks.

"she's coming by here in a few," anakin answers. he's oddly excited; it feels like it's been years since he's seen her, really seen her. seeing her in classes every day doesn't count, since they haven't been talking. "i have no idea what i'm going to tell her."

"easy," obi-wan says. "'there's this guy named obi-wan that's totally hot and smart, and i think he's a sexy fucker. i want to kiss his stupid face.'"

anakin stares at him. "i never said i wanted to kiss you, dumbass."

obi-wan raises an eyebrow. "so you think i'm hot, smart, and sexy? you didn't deny any of those."

anakin opens his mouth to respond, his cheeks pinking adorably, but he falters at obi-wan's annoyingly smug expression. he opens his mouth to try and spew something sassy, but there's a knock at the door.

"that's padmé," he says, and suddenly his hands are sweating. "i'm nervous!"

"it's going to be just fine," obi-wan says, and he sounds so sure of the fact that it eliminates anakin's anxiety. he goes to the door and pulls it open, and there padmé is, looking small and so familiar. 

"anakin!" she gasps out, and then he has an armful of his best friend. he laughs, and hugs her back, leans his cheek against the top of his head. "i thought you were never going to talk to me again," she whispers against his shirt.

"i'm offended you'd think you were finally rid of me," anakin says back, but god, is he glad. his heart is dancing with joy; his padmé is back in his arms, where she belongs. he pulls back so he can look at her, and she looks happy, too.

"told you," obi-wan says from behind them.

"told you what?" padmé questions.

anakin rolls his eyes. "it was his idea...for my to text you. he claims i've been 'mopey.'"

"you have."

a small smile makes its way onto her face. "you two seem awfully friendly..."

"i'd say it goes beyond friendly," obi-wan replies.

anakin turns. "shut up," he hisses, embarrassed.

"you're blushing!" padmé giggles, and anakin breathes a weary sigh. "are you two...like...together?"

"no!" anakin gasps, at the exact same second that obi-wan says yes. anakin whips around to glare at him again.

"well...i say we are, anakin just doesn't know it yet."

"you can't force me to be in a relationship with you!"

"is it really forcing you if you think i'm smart and sexy?" obi-wan replies, smirking.

"you said that?" padmé gasps. it's so unlike anakin it's almost astonishing.

"no. well...not exactly," anakin says. he has an enormous urge to slam his head against a wall. "he's muddying up my head. can we go get coffee, or something?"

padmé nods, grinning. she'd go to jakku with him if he asked, she's so happy to have her best friend back.