Chapter 2

Filming was going well, the problem with a series was how long it took in comparison to a film for the big screen but, it certainly gave us the opportunity to thoroughly get to know our colleagues. Emily had included Tara in a lot of our get-togethers, but since there was invariably a group of us, I hadn't been able to learn all that much about her. I knew she had a child from a previous relationship but she wasn't about to share all the gory details of that with a bunch of almost strangers.

Emily reckoned that it had been messy and that was why she kept her distance from the men in general and particularly me; she seemed to open up a bit each time and then after allowing a glimpse of her true nature she slammed the door shut and you could almost hear the virtual bolts and chains sliding into place.

"Do ye think I should invite her for a drink, wi'out the rest of ye?" I asked Em, a month had passed since our first social drink and I was thinking it was time to try my luck, I wanted to know her better, I wanted to show her that not all men were arseholes, some of us were worthy of her time and trust.

"I think you should have invited her a fortnight ago; I've never known you to be so reticent so I'm guessing you really like her, you've gone all daft in the head!" she replied, her head cocked to one side as she looked at me, giving the impression of a little garden bird watching to see if you are going to throw some seed out for them.

"Auch Em, how can I say if I like her, I still hardly bloody ken her!"

"Well you may not know her, but I know you and I know you like her, if it helps, I reckon she likes you too, she lights up just a little when you're around. Of course, I didn't tell you that..." Em's voice trailed off, an unspoken request for discretion with the double agent intelligence she had given me.

"Ye didna tell me anything at all, of course." I grinned, "Ye're the best wingman I guy could want and I'm always grateful that ye agreed to be my friend."

"Yes well, I have a helluva job convincing guys that I'm not with you so if I can get you settled then maybe, just maybe, I can get a bloody date too!"

"Do I cause ye a lot of trouble? I figured it was only the fans that created that 'ship' I didna realise it had gone any further than that! I'm sorry Em..." Now it was my voice that trailed off, I hadn't noticed that she was still single, and hadn't dated for most of the time I'd known her.

"Oh Hamish, it's not your fault pet, the right guy would see straight away that we weren't a couple, I just haven't met him yet." She smiled and briefly touched my arm then jerked her head to the side with a wink and walked quickly away. I turned around to see Tara stop for a moment, she looked hesitant and I realised she had been walking towards Em, who had legged it for my benefit.

"Hey Tara! Do ye fancy grabbing a drink wi' me after work?" No time like the present I thought, "Em's just ditched me, said something aboot trouble at home so I'm at a bit of a loose end, d'ye ken?" I added, giving a reason for the rather abrupt departure Tara had just witnessed. A smile slowly formed on her face before she spoke,

"Aye, I canna see a reason no to, I reckon as I could do with a dram or two." She said, her impersonation of my accent was surprising but equally, it was accurate, which was more than could be said of English accent. I let the grin spread across my face,

"Auch, ye've got a talent for mimicry! That was excellent." My exclamation was met with one of her low chuckles and I found I needed to sit down rather soon,

"I'll meet ye outside makeup later?" I asked, and received a nod in reply. We parted ways and I hunted out Em to let her know she had sudden 'family trouble' for my benefit.

I was becoming more and more nervous as the day wore on, ridiculous behaviour for a man of my age, but this woman made me feel like a kid again; a particularly awkward and clumsy kid with feet 3 sizes too big for the body above them.