Chapter 6

AUTHOR'S NOTE

I added dates in so that you understand when things happen, let me know in the comments if you like or dislike the idea (I found it helped me but I can remove them again if you guys prefer)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 2008

"It's a beautiful sunny day out Hamish, do you fancy a picnic?" Tara peeped around the bedroom door as she spoke

"Are ye on the menu?" I waggled my eyebrows

"No, she's not, good grief, do all men have a one-track mind? Actually, don't answer that." Another face appeared at the door to accompany the voice

"Guid mornin' Em, are ye visiting with us? When did ye arrive? What time is it?"

"Morning, no, not visiting, just popped by with the picnic idea, I've got Robert to come along but wanted to make it less 'datey' so was hoping you guys would join us? Pretty please!"

"So, a non-date, date picnic, how could I say no? Especially wi Tara doing an impression of a nodding dog" my wife was small but her leaping hugs could knock any man to the floor, on this occasion, it simply knocked me flat in the bed again.

Half an hour later I was sitting in the kitchen with the required morning mug of coffee, Tara reckoned I was only semi-human before the first mug each day, but then she only said that after I had drunk it; she was smart like that.

Emily had scooted off to her home again to put together a super romantic picnic for four, the thought made me chuckle and Tara looked quizzically at me over the rim of her mug,

"Now what's set you off?"

"A non-date, date for four, only Em could come up wi' that, and ye all said I was hopeless!" I winked as I spoke, it was, after all, one of our favourite jokes; the smile on her face widened; then she suddenly jumped to her feet and shot across the room to turn the radio up, another moment had her pulling me to my feet to slow dance around the kitchen to our song.

~~~

April 2006

I was so nervous, I was shaking, in a few minutes the music would start and Tara would appear in the doorway behind me; I could feel my best friend beside me, his hand rested lightly on my shoulder for a moment in an unspoken moment of understanding and support, it was enough to stop the quakes, at least until I heard the cheer from the crowd outside; Tara had arrived and the fans were showing their support for our marriage. Moments later, or so it seemed to me, the organ started and I heard a quiet gasp of appreciation ripple through our guests, I looked at Robert beside me and he responded with a grin, inclining his head slightly towards the aisle; I inhaled deeply and slowly turned to see the woman I had chosen to spend the rest of my life with, walking towards me.

"Ye came then" I whispered as she stopped by my side,

"Aye lad, I did that, glad ya decided to be here too."

The next half hour passed in a blur as I pledged myself to Tara and her to me, all I could see and hear was her, the rest of the people did not exist for me; then it was done, we were husband and wife, the haze continued all day for me, I was walking on clouds, in clouds, floating above clouds, it was like a dream. The fans cheering, the photographs, the journey to the reception; the only time I was fully lucid was our first dance, the song was from the year we met, in fact it had been played regularly in the pub as we relaxed after filming; we hadn't specifically named it as our song but it was, unofficially, and so it was our first dance.