Chapter 7

August 2005

"Can we buy this place, Hamish?" Tara turned big pleading eyes on me, holding her hands clasped just below her chin, the slow blink was my undoing and I nodded. The big eyes creased as she smiled, her hands changed from clasped to clapping and she actually jumped up and down in a childlike excitement that caused me to laugh aloud.

"What are we to do with a rundown old shack though? Tha's what I dinna ken, especially one on an island that is only accessible by a ridiculously narrow footbridge!"

"Hamish! It's not rundown or a shack for that matter and it is the perfect little getaway for us, no paps can get near us exactly because of that little bridge." My eyes widened,

"I ken the attraction now, lass, tis a proper bolthole from the world, aye, we will definitely buy it."

***

October 2005

"I've got the perfect paint colour for the kitchen, a super happy colour!"

"We are no having helter skelter yellow in the kitchen Tara!"

"It isn't helter skelter yellow, it's a lovely warm peachy colour so ner!" Tara poked her tongue out as she spoke and waved the tin of paint at me "I did consider the yellow though" she confessed, grinning.

Two hours later I added the last brush stroke and looked across the room to where Tara was painting the skirting boards, we'd realised quickly that low work was hers and high work was mine but I wasn't expecting to see her laying down to paint,

"What are ye aboot woman? Lying doon on the job?"

"Well, it was easier to watch you if I was lying down, I've decided I enjoy watching you paint, there was some particularly nice muscle activity." She winked and returned her attention to the work.

"Ye've got the paint in your hair"

"Oh no! Has it dried already? Gloss is a nightmare to get out"

"Well, I think ye're finished so let's get ye in the shower before it does dry," I said, pulling her to her feet and half carrying her to the bathroom,

"You could have let me put the brush down first Hamish, love" she waved it under my nose and completely misjudged the distance, leaving me with a large dollop of white paint on my face. "Oops!"

"Did ye do tha on purpose lass?" I said as I put her down,

"Well, you are covered in speckles anyway." I felt my t-shirt being tugged from my jeans and allowed her to remove it, my fingers reached for the buttons of her blouse whilst hers headed for my belt; within a minute we were naked and I feathered a trail of kisses between her breasts, leaving a streak of paint to mark my path. Her hands tangled in my hair and pressed me closer, her little body arching towards me; I reached to turn the shower on and let my hands explore her back, before gripping her bottom tight and lifting her onto my hips, once more bringing my face into close proximity to those beautiful mounds.

Her hands began their own exploration of me, and her legs wrapped around my waist; seemingly of their own accord as the steam of the shower engulfed us, creating a world where only we existed.

August 2016

My coffee was cold again, it seemed to be doing that a lot since she'd gone; Tara had always swapped to tea if she caught herself wasting coffees, standing up I pulled a fresh mug from the cupboard then dug out a teabag from the caddy at the back of the counter, a change was as good as a rest, or so they said.