Chapter 3

"Hey, Pete," I said to my 2 month old son. It's been 11 months since I last saw Chris. We've emailed each other, but we've been more and more distant as time has passed. I still haven't told him about Pete, and even if I were to tell him I wouldn't know what to say.

Pete looks exactly like Chris. What worries me most about Chris coming back is if he would want to get back together with me or not and when he finds out about Pete i have no idea if he will want to be part of his life or not. I would understand if he doesn't want to be near us, he's coming back to a whole new life on Earth after all.

I heard Pete cry and I pick him up. I bounced him as I heard a small ring from my phone. I walked over to where my phone was with Pete in my arms and unlocked it. I saw the email notification and it was an email from NASA that came from Chris. I instantly opened the email and started reading.

'Hey (Y/N), I know we haven't talked in a while and I've got lots of to tell you. A few months ago I told you that a member of our crew, Mark Watney, died on Mars. Well, we found out that he's actually alive and we're going back for him. It will be another 2 years of space travel. I know how hard it is to hear this but you're strong. I need to tell you something else, I'm falling for one of my crew-mates, Beth Johanssen. I think she's the one and I want to start a life with her when I get back-'

I stopped reading as the tears rolled down my face and couldn't read any further. Even though we broke up and haven't seen each other in about a year i still had feelings for him. Now that he has fallen for someone else, he certainly won't want to be part of me and Pete's life. Maybe when he sees him I'll tell him he came out of a one night stand. 

I wiped my tears and place my focus back on Pete, the most important person in my life.

"Hey (Y/N)," Maggie said after she let herself in my apartment. She walked over to me and took Pete from my arms. "Have you been crying?" She asked.

I shrugged and tried my best to go back to normal, "Chris emailed me." 

"Thats's good, isn't it?" She asked.

"No," I said and handed her my phone. As she quietly read the email her expression changed from confused to sad.

"Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry," she handed me my phone and started rocking Pete in her arms.

"It isn't your fault," I said and sat on the couch, "I think I'm going to keep my distance, he doesn't know about my feelings or Pete. I'm not saying Pete was a mistake, but i feel that he would be a burden to Chris once he gets back to Earth."

"You're underestimating him (Y/N). He still cares about you," she said and sat down next to me.

"He cares about me as a best friend. We were going to get together once he got back, but I guess that's not happening since he's made plans with someone else," I said.

"What are you going to do now?" She asked.

"Move on," I said.

"I think I know someone that would be perfect for you," she said and smirked.

"Who?" I asked and grinned.

"His name is Barry Simons, he's a cop and 2 years older than you," Maggie said.

"I don't know Mags," I said and played with my fingers.

"Come on, live a little," She said.

I thought about it for a few seconds, then I looked up and smiled, "Okay, set up a date Mags."