Chapter 11

~Your POV~

"She told you?" I muttered loudly enough for Chris to hear.

Maggie got her stuff and stood up at the sudden tense atmosphere, "I'm gonna leave now," was all she said and left the apartment. The silence set in as soon as the door closed behind her.

"Why?" Chris said and I could see tears in his eyes getting ready to roll down his face.

I shook nervously and bit my lip, "You were in space."

He opened his arms as the anger rose in him, "So that automatically makes it okay for me not to know about my son?"

I heard Pete call for me in a scared voice from his bedroom. I pushed past an angry Chris and went straight to Pete's room. I entered his room to see him sitting up on his bed with his arms out for me to pick him up. I picked him up and tried to calm him down by whispering to him that everything would be okay.

I heard movement behind me and turned around to see Chris leaning against the doorway. His face showed anger until Pete came into his view in which his facial expression softened.

Pete noticed Chris and tried to hide himself by digging his head in the crook of my neck. At this Chris's eyes showed sadness and he walked out of the room and in the direction of the doorway.

"Here buddy, why don't you go back to your nap, I'll wake you up when it's time for Sesame Street," I suggested to which Pete nodded. I placed him back on the bed and got him under the covers.

I closed Pete's door behind me and walked quietly to the living room to see Chris with his face in his hands.

"If you want to argue, then please leave. Pete is napping and I only care about his well-being right now," I said and he looked up at me and shook his head.

I nodded and sat on the couch opposite of the one he was sitting in. 

"I didn't know what to do, Chris. I found out I was pregnant 2 days before you left, you wouldn't have gone because I know you. I couldn't do that to you, so I kept it from you," I said.

He sighed and looked me in the eye, "You're right, I wouldn't have left."

"Chris, I know that this is hard for you, but believe me that it was hard for me too. I know I had help from your mother, my mom, and Maggie, but keeping this from you tore me to shreds," I said regretfully.

"Why didn't you tell me after I left?" He asked.

"Because I thought you would feel guilty," I said and stared down at my hands trying to avoid his stare.

"Yeah, I would have. What happens now?" He asked making me look up at him.

"You either stay away from Pete since he doesn't know that you are his father yet or we tell him that your his dad and we can involve him into your life," I said.

"There's no question, I want to be in his life," he said quickly.

"Okay, we can tell him later. I'm not sure that he'll comprehend what we are trying to tell him since he is 3 years old, but he's a smart kid," I said.

"Thanks (Y/N)," he said and stood up.

"Don't worry, I owe you for keeping him hidden from you," I said.

He looked back at me while opening the door and smiled, "we're even (Y/N), I got you pregnant and left for Mars." Then he left, leaving me contemplating the future.

~Chris's POV~

After I left (Y/N)'s apartment, I drove to my mom's house to apologize. When I arrived there was no one home and I left her a voicemail when she didn't answer her phone.

I drove to my new apartment since I couldn't live with (Y/N) and got settled in. About an hour later, there was a knock on the door and I answered it to see Beth.

"Hey nerd," I said and gave her a quick peck on the lips and let her in.

"You're one to talk, Chris," she said making me chuckle.

"We need to talk," I said as we both sat down on the couch, worry settling on her face.

"Is it something bad?" She asked fiddling with her hands.

I scrunched my face, "it depends on how you take it.'

She nodded and waited for me to continue.

"Before I left for Mars, I was dating this girl, (Y/N). About two years ago, I found out she had a child and I thought that she cheated on me or got a donor or something like that. Well that's not the case, my mom knew all along and I found out I am the father while she was on the phone with (Y/N). I just wanted to let you know that I want to be in his life," I said and stared at Beth with a blank expression upon her face. 

"I don't know what to say Chris. I've, We've been away in space for 4 years. I left a pretty normal life behind it's like a paused it, when I came back it was the same life, all I had to do was click play. You had a life before you left Earth, one that became a bigger mess without your presence. You came back to drama, and I'm not made for that," she said.

"What do you mean by that?" I wondered.

"Chris, I don't want to be considered the bad one here, it's just my opinion. I wouldn't know what to do as the girlfriend that has to deal with her boyfriend's newly discovered child. All I'm saying is that if you want to be in your child's life, I want to stay out of it, not because I'm against your child," she said leaving me totally shocked.

"Th-then I guess we're done, Beth," I said.

"Tell me something, Chris. Is (Y/N) the reason you were always frustrated on the Hermes?" she asked.

I nodded and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Did you love her?" she asked.

"Yes, I did," I sighed.

"Are you still in love with her?" She asked.

I stayed silent before answering with a smile and a nod.

"Then, why are you still talking to me?" She asked.

I shook my head, "I don't think she would want me near her if it wasn't for Pete. She gave me the option of staying away from them," I said painfully.

"I think she said that because she felt responsible for putting this on you out of nowhere," she said.

"I don't know. Why would she feel like that? It was also my fault, it takes two to tango," I said and almost slapped myself at how stupid I sounded.

"You are a huge dork, anyways I have to go but you need to talk to her," she said and gave me a quick hug before leaving me alone with my thoughts.

AN: If you see the notification saying that I updated previous chapters, it is just me going over and fixing grammar. :)