Chapter 10

"Hey (Y/N)," he said quietly staring down at me and then at Pete.

"H-hi Chris," I stuttered out in disbelief.

"We need to talk," he said staring from Pete to me.

"Pete and I were just heading to the park, you can join us if you want to," I said.

He nodded and moved out of the doorway for me to pass. I quickly walked out and closed the door behind me. The walk to the park was awkward and silent. All Chris did was walk beside me, with his hands in his pockets, and I saw him stare at me or Pete from the corner of my eye. When we reached the park I went to a small playground located in the center of it and placed Pete on one of the infant swings and started gently swinging him.

"How old is he now, three?" he asked quietly leaning against the swings.

"Yeah, he turned three about 2 months ago," I replied and giggled when Pete started mumbling the word 'three' repeatedly since he likes the letter e.

He chuckled as he stared at me. He then got a sad look deep in his eyes and frowned. 

"Why didn't you tell me you got pregnant?" he asked, his voice barely audible.

I frowned, "can we talk about this later? When Pete isn't present?"

He nodded and looked down at his shoes, "sorry."

We stayed in the park for half an hour when Pete got tired and I decided to start heading home. When we got to the apartment, I put Pete down for a nap and walked back to the living room where Chris was.

"How was your trip back to Earth?" I asked and smiled brightly sitting down on the opposite couch from where he was sitting.

"Great, now are you going to explain?" Chris asked, anger evident in his voice.

"I don't know where to start," I said and gazed down at my hands.

"How about who the father is and why you would fucking cheat on me?" he said raising his voice.

"Quiet down, please. I didn't cheat on you, it was... it was a donor," I said hesitating in my answer.

"Cut the bullshit," he snapped.

"Fine... I didn't cheat on you. I got with this other guy a week after you left. I was hurt that we had broken up and I was lonely," I lied, "about three weeks after that, I found out I was pregnant. I told the guy that I hooked up with I was pregnant, he left as soon as I told him."

I looked at him and noticed pity in his eyes, "All of this because I decided to go to Mars."

"No, no," I stood up and sat down next to him, "it's not your fault, I was stupid and I wasn't careful."

"We could've been married by now, had a family," he said miserably.

"Don't think about that Chris, you have Beth now," I said trying to sound happy.

"You're right, I'm still sorry that I caused this," he said.

"Stop blaming yourself. You didn't cause this, it was my decision. Plus, now I'm not so lonely," I said and laughed.

He chuckled and held my cold hand in his warm one. Chris then sighed, let go of my hand, and stood up, "I have to go."

I stood up as well and cleared my throat, "Don't be a stranger, Doctor."

Chris smiled and gave me a hug.

"I won't," he whispered into my neck and pulled away.

I smiled at him as he quietly pulled the door open, trying to not wake Pete up. He smiled at me before silently closing the door.

As soon as he left the tears built up in my eyes. I grabbed my phone and called Maggie.

"Hey (Y/N)!" Maggie said brightly.

"C-Chris came over," I stuttered as a tear rolled down my face.

"I'm on my way," she said and hung up.

'I lost him'

~Chris's POV~

I left (Y/N)'s house and got in my car to head to brunch with my family.

I called my mom before starting the car, wanting to know where the diner was.

"Hello?" My mom said.

"Hey mom, I was over at (Y/N)'s house, where's the diner at?" I asked.

"(Y/N)'s?" she asked quickly as if she was shocked.

"Yeah, is something wrong with that?" I asked confused,

"No, of course not. I just haven't heard from heard in a while," she said.

"Oh okay, we can visit her sometime. Now, what's the address to the diner?" I asked.

After she gave me the address, I headed over to the diner. Once I go there, my mom came up to me and hugged me as soon as she saw me.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" she asked me.

"Yes, mom. Why wouldn't I be?" I questioned.

"Pete?" she said as if it was obvious.

"Oh, yeah. She told me about the guy she met a week after I left. Wait. How do you even know about Pete?" I asked.

"I-I bumped into (Y/N) one day and told me she had him," she stuttered.

I felt like she was lying. "Oh, okay," I said.

"Sweetie, you should really talk to (Y/N) again about Pete," she said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Just do it, okay?" She said and I nodded as she walked away pulling her phone out.

'Why would she be lying to me?' I decided to follow her since she left me confused.

"Why did you lie to Chris about Pete? He deserves to know that he is his father!" My mom spat into her phone.

"I'm his father?" I said to my mom.

She turned around in shock, "I've gotta go," she said into her phone and hung up.

"I'm Pete's father and you knew?" I snapped and walked out of the diner.

"Chris!" she called me.

I got in my car and drove to (Y/N)'s, once I got to her house I pounded on the door waiting for her to open up.

"Chris?" she said confused, "what are you d-"

I cut her off by pushing past her and into her apartment seeing Maggie on the couch. (Y/N) closed the door and I could hear her walking towards me.

"What's wrong Chris?" she asked.

I turned to face her, "Why didn't you tell me that Pete is my son?"