Chapter 7

~5 months later~

As time went on, I kept recording Pete growing up. At 9 months old, Pete started to stand up but couldn't walk until he was 11 months.  He said a few words like mama, but his first word was dada. When i heard him say dada, I immediately started recording him and once he said it I called him a traitor and laughed.

Pete is turning 1 in 2 days and Chris sent me an email telling me that he would be able to video chat in about a week. I'm really nervous about it and I don't know what to do about Pete.

~2 days later~

"Happy Birthday dear Pete. Happy Birthday to you," my mom, Maggie, and I finished singing as I recorded. 

Pete giggled as I went and  blew out a single candle in the middle of a small and simple cake since he  couldn't do it himself.

"Yay!," I said and my mom began to cut the cake. I stopped recording and gave Pete a small piece of cake to which he started playing with the icing.

"So (Y/N), are you going to tell Chris about Pete next week?" My mom said and handed me and Maggie a piece of cake. Maggie then went and played with Pete.

I shook my head, "I don't want him to know, at least, not yet."

"He's going to find out sooner or later," she said.

"Well, I think I prefer later," I said.

"Come on (Y/N), he's missed out on so much," my mom said.

"I know mom, that's why I record the videos. Plus, he's in space. I'm sure he would miss just as much if he knew about him," I said.

"I guess you have a point," my mom said and sighed, "You guys were just great together and seeing you stress over all that's happening hurts me."

"Mom, Chris and I are over. He has Beth now, there's nothing any of us could do about it," I said.

"It will be okay sweetie," she said and smiled at me.

"I hope so mom, I sure hope so," I said and sighed.

~4 days later~

Earlier today Chris emailed me that we could video chat in a few hours. Right now, I was waiting for the video chat to come in. I decided that Pete would be with Maggie in his room while I talked to Chris.

I heard light ringing come from my laptop as a video request came in. I clicked accept and saw Chris's face pop up on the screen.

I smiled, "Hey!" I said and laughed.

"Hey (Y/N)!" he replied and smiled widely. 'God, how I love and missed his smile,' I thought and smiled.

"How's space?" I asked as a joke.

"Space is fine (Y/N)," he said and lightly chuckled, "How are you? You look tired (Y/N)."

"I'm fine, I've been working more than usual, don't worry about me Chris," I said and half lied. I have been working a lot but not for my actual job, it is hard to be a single mom, so basically it is a second job.

"I'll always worry," he said.

I felt something bump into my leg and I looked down and saw Pete, "Mama," he said and urged for me to pick him up. I froze and saw Maggie walk to me.

"(Y/N)? Who is there?" Chris asked. 

Maggie picked Pete up and handed him to me, "I'll leave you two to talk," she whispered in my ear and walked out of the apartment.

As Pete's face showed in the camera Chris smiled, "Hey buddy! Who is that (Y/N)?" he asked.

"This i-is Pete," I said nervously.

"Since when did you start babysitting?" he asked.

"Never, he's mine," I said and stared at Chris as he froze.

"Y-yours?" He managed to choke out.

I nodded.

"Since when do you have a child?!" he screamed at me.

Pete started fuzzing when he heard the scream. I bounced him on my leg to calm him down.

"He just turned one 4 days ago," I said quietly.

I saw his face redden which I guess was from anger, "When were you going to tell me that you have a child?"

"You're not the father, Chris, I don't have to tell you anything!" I snapped.

'Lies.' I thought to myself.

"That doesn't matter. I care about you (Y/N)," he said.

"If you cared about me then you wouldn't have left me," I quietly said.

A silence fell over us as I started to regret what I said.

"Chris-" I started but got cut off. "I'll talk to you later," he said before the chat cut off.

The tears streamed down my face and I heard Pete start to giggle at nothing.

'It can't get any worse than this, can it?'