WITH INTEREST

CHAPTER 1

WITH INTEREST

BORUTO UZUMAKI

The Leaf Village had seen peace for a long time. And sure, that made my old man happy, but for me, it was just flat out boring. Sure there were classes and lessons, and I got to learn a lot, improve techniques, training, etc. But it was just really... lame. So that's kind of why I said yes. Sarada and Inojin were talking and I just happened to overhear. They were both talking about the Hokage council meeting thing coming up tonight, that's what they said, but from that, my brain instantly thought: LET'S SNEAK INTO MY DAD'S OFFICE.

While that might seem like a great idea for your average idiot, I really don't suggest it now. Anyway, after lots of persuading I got Inojin to join me. As soon as the meeting got started we headed up to my old man's office. He always forgets to lock it, but right as we were headed into the office. I heard: "Psst!" I turned and sure enough, the rule following goody goody Sarada had actually showed up. She would deny it, but she does enjoy the occasional rule breaking.

So we snuck into his office. It's always a mess in there, people always pester my dad to clean it up, but that pretty much means nothing. So we tiptoed over the random scrolls and books, we had to be super quiet since the Hokage council meeting was happening right under us. Sarada was busy digging through cabinets looking for cool jutsus, and I was fascinated with a really cool ultra decorative scroll that was stuck on a shelf on my dad's wall, right behind his desk.

Inojin nodded at me and I hoisted him onto my shoulders. After almost falling down a couple of times, I regained my balance and Inojin reached forward for the scroll. But he reached too far and I lost my balance. I fell backwards and Inojin fell with me.

We fell with a huge thud, and for a moment complete and utter stillness fell over us. We waited for a second but then heard the voices continue downstairs. They didn't' suspect anything. Thank God. Inojin pulled his leg out from under me and we crept over to the interesting looking scroll. Sarada sent me an angry glare: YOU BAKA.

It was covered in swirly designs that were constantly moving. It was like the scroll was alive. I touched it and felt like the scroll shivered in response. I looked over at Sarada who knelt next to us as we unrolled it. The paper was old, the edges were falling apart. But when we unrolled it, the entire scroll was blank. No words, no symbols or drawings. There wasn't a single drop of ink.

I sighed, "Damn it! I really wanted for there to be something awesome in there!"

"Shh!!!" Sarada shushed me.

But then I touched the scroll smoothing it out. I looked closer to make sure that there wasn't any writing. But then I shrugged and stood with the others. But as soon as I did, the scroll began to pulse with gold light.

"Whoa..." Inojin awed. He stepped closer to it.

"Wait." Sarada said, looking closer at it. "Get away from it. We shouldn't be in here."

"Hey." We all whipped around. Standing in the door was Shikadai his hand still resting on the doorframe. "What are you doing in here?"

"Shikadai-" I started but Sarada tugged on my arm,

"Look at it!" The scroll pulsed even brighter.

"What the hell?" I knelt. Then the room started to shake, and I vaguely remember Shikadai running in to pull me away from it, but it was too late. Everyone blacked out.

"Who the hell are these kids?" I felt someone touch my cheek, I cringed my eyes still closed. I blinked a couple times before I could see. My head was pounding. I looked to my right, and saw Sarada, her glasses laid on the ground next to her, one of the lenses was shattered. Inojin was collapsed ontop of me, and Shikadai's arm was laid across Sarada's neck. We had landed in a pile. But it wasn't them that needed my immediate attention.