Twirling Tattoo Ch. 17

Chapter 17

I met Linessa at the appointed place that night at the right hour. She was discussing some left over matters that were in the wind with her prince when I walked in.

"We don't actually have a confession from her," he objected to her idea of arresting the princess. "We only have what you heard and that's considered illegal here...not that it matters much. She's done it enough times herself." His scorn for his sister was easily put to rest when I greeted them and my prince nodded grimly at me.

"What do you know so far?" I questioned looking at the three of them.

"Yarrow Feldman is by himself on the upper west tower waiting for the order to kill the princes and us. The others are near the same tower but on the other side waiting to get the same order. It's going to be huge. I've never seen so many people like that before and she's cleared the ramparts out for the attack," Linessa informed me and I nodded.

"It will be a large scale battle," Law said staring straight at me and I smiled at him.

"That's the fun in it," I answered.

"I hope it's worth it," my prince muttered and took out something from Law's dresser drawers. "I want you to have these. They should keep you safe with your skill."

What he had handed me was a pair of twin swords. They were mid length with black ribbons of the sheaths but a blue handle. When I pulled them out I sighed in pure happiness at the feel of equality of them in my hands. It was as if I had grown another appendage and was just realizing it was there.

"You like them?" Aiden hoped anxiously and I nodded with a grin.

"I'll be safer with these than with anything else," I answered and he frowned as if he had caught on to what I was planning.

"How much time do we have left?" I questioned her and she shrugged.

"Thirty minutes give or take but I want to be on the battlefield to start when she gives the signal," she replied and started walking to the door.

I had to move quickly for her not to get involved so I wrapped my tattoos around her body, encasing her in them and she struggled until she saw my face.

"I can't have you go out there," I said gently and put my hand on her forehead.

"Don't! You can't handle them alone!" She shrieked and I smiled wanly at her.

"I also can't protect them sitting here. I know that you were planning on doing the same thing to me so I had to do it first," I commented recalling the conversation between her and my prince earlier that day. She had told him that she was going alone. He had replied how there wasn't anything she could do by herself. She got mad and stomped off. I merely went back to planning how I would subdue her.

"Sleep. By the time I finish it'll all be over," I whispered gently and pushed my tattoos into her mind to make her fall asleep.

"Don't...get killed," she murmured before slumping down and I placed her gently on couch.

"I never will," I muttered and turned back to the princes. "Will I have to subdue you two?" Their faces weren't anywhere near as shocked as hers had been and I wondered how much they talked about this situation.

"It would be a good idea in case you lose. I don't want to be killed while I'm awake," Aiden responded and I nodded walking to him. He fell asleep just as quickly and I glanced over at Law. His eyes followed my slow steps towards him and he pulled me towards him.

"If you get killed, I won't have anyone to tease," he whispered in my ear and I blew a bubble of cold air on his neck.

"If I get killed you'll have a lot more problems to worry about besides who you'll tease," I retorted and he drew my lips up to his. My first kiss consensual kiss was soft and sweet. We stared at each other for a long moment before I tapped his nose.

"You'll still have Lacey," I informed him and he gapped at me.

"You really know how to ruin a moment don't you?" he proclaimed and I laughed at him.

"I live for ruining moments. I get to ruin your sister's in a minute so you have to sleep," I told him and he shook his head.

"I can't. If I sleep then no one will be here to defend them and that's not the main goal. I'll stay awake. Call if you need me," he offered helplessly knowing that I wouldn't call.

"If I needed you, I shouldn't be doing this in the first place," I replied and drew the swords out of the sheaths one more time. I handed their casings to him and grinned.

"Keep them safe or I'll have your head," I instructed and he grinned back.

"I'll keep them as safe as I can," he offered and I walked out the door.

The walk to the battlefield wasn't as long as I thought it'd be. It was just a couple of minutes walk and when I got there, I observed my enemy. I knew from my own spying that Yarrow wouldn't move until after all the army had been defeated by us, if they did defeat us. I also knew that the King and Queen were sleeping peacefully in their bed because the kitchen boy drugged them with a sleeping drought to make sure they weren't awake when the attack was held. It was the same thing for the captains and generals of the army. The soldiers had been given a bit of the potion too but not nearly as much as the higher ranking officers.

The terrain was grassy inside the castle at the back and we'd be fighting in the gardens where the Queen kept all of her roses. I hoped not to damage any of them but I didn't make any promises, especially with people about to surround me. I was gazing at the growing army with thoughtfulness when I heard a soft chiming noise. The battle had begun.

"What would happen if you won this fight?" The doctor asked curiously and I glanced at Lawrence. He shrugged and I nodded trying to get my thought in order.

"My prince would've had to marry another woman and the princess would've been sent to exile. Of course, if I hadn't won this fight, I would be dead. Linessa would be dead before her time. This idiot here would be dead and my prince would be dead," I answered and he nodded thoughtfully.

"And Phyralis? Where was he?" he questioned looking at me.

"Somewhere in the Confusion Mountains where the other dragons were. I never saw him until after the battle and even then it was as if he had changed," I shrugged and Law looked over at me.

"You never did tell me what happened on the battlefield between you and Yarrow," he observed and I glanced at him.

"I never thought it was the right time. You would have ended up killing his entire family for what he said to me. You're...not exactly the forgiving type," I responded and he rolled his eyes.

"I'm too afraid that someone will steal you away," he grinned and it was my turn for the eye roll. Looking back at the doctor, I shook my head and got my thoughts together.

Author's note: Merry Christmas everyone! Thanks for all your support and I hope you have some happy holidays!