Twirling Tattoo Ch. 34

Chapter 34

The war between father and son lasted for four months. In that time period, Aiden barely moved from beside Linessa and his daughter. King Kier wasn't exactly elated. He despised the servants because they were lower than he was but he seemed to get along fine with me and Heven. Heven had come along for the adventure and was sitting next to me while the two were going at it for the fifth time that day. Liana had come back the day before so Tynan was spending all his time with her. As for Lawrence...he disappeared and I had no idea where he was but I knew he wasn't in danger because of my mark. It's not that I didn't worry but I didn't have time to worry. I had been put back into Aiden's personal servant role so I had to do mostly everything for him. He hated that even more than having to fight with his father. I had never minded it in the first place but it just gave him another reason to hate his father. Linessa was getting sick of the yelling and her confusion over how her baby was a Quartet wasn't making it better. A sigh escaped my lips as I watched the door shake from the voices and Heven patted me on the shoulder.

"He's just trying to protect his country," he offered but I shook my head.

"At what cost? A family?" I replied and sitting back and the older man looked at me. His hair had gone to a salt and pepper over the years but his eyes looked as sharp as ever.

"You could take her away," he suggested quietly and I started.

"Kidnap my prince's daughter? What good would that do?" I asked already knowing the answer. It would get rid of all the problems that the court was having. Peace could finally be established and people could start trading between the two countries....It was a beautiful dream.

"I couldn't do that to Linessa. She wouldn't know where her baby is," I protested weakly at the overbearing idea.

"We could tell her after it happened," he said and I considered the idea. I should say that I planned it more than I considered it.

"Where would I go?" I gave in.

"There's a small city not too far from your old town where Prince Lawrence is currently getting you a place to stay," he told me and I stared at him. They had planned it without me and expected me to go along with it. I couldn't blame them and I was tempted but I wasn't sure I should.

"You planned it without me," I accused and he raised an eyebrow.

"You're telling me that you're not tempted to fix everything. I know you better than you think I do and I know that you're the type that likes to keep everyone happy. I know that's why you put up with Aiden and his father for so many years without complaint. It's why you killed for Prince Lawrence and Linessa. Why don't you go and have a break from it for a little while? Take care of Rayne and make her happy," he rebuked calmly and I frowned at him.

"You're telling me to take care of a child by stealing her? And making myself happy by making my prince and his lover miserable? What kind of offer is that?" I rejected standing up and shaking my head. I was about to leave when he reached out and grabbed my wrist.

"It's not an offer. My king has been working with King Vaughn for a conclusion to this mess and they came up with that. You're to take care of the child until she's old enough to make her decisions and by Tynan's reasoning that won't be very long. He briefed us in Quartets and they grow faster than any of the races. It appears they live longer as well. She'll be eight in human years when she's fully matured. You'll be twenty-nine. Not too horrible," he instructed me but I just stared at him. So I was being ordered to do it and not just by my king but Lawrence as well. It stung and I stared at him expressionless.

"So it's come to whether I am a servant or not," I said and he nodded.

"Naomi, it was always about the servitude. That's what you are. Nothing more, nothing less. It hurts but there's nothing you can do," he whispered the last line and I saw the pain he had endured for years.

"Who?" I questioned and he shook his head.

"It's a tale for another time," he replied and stood up with a sigh. As he walked away, I saw a small whirl made itself known at the back of his neck and then it disappeared. The shock of knowing that my mentor was a Selenium made me wonder exactly how rare Seleniums really were. They appeared to be popping up everywhere.

The door to Linessa room banged open and the king strode out glaring at anyone that appeared to be looking at him. He didn't just glare at me but sneered as he walked by. The sense of danger around the poor baby girl was escalating and I could only hope that Lawrence got back fast. Aiden came pouring out after his father raising hell as he passed everyone. It was a scene I had seen far too often at his old house but I couldn't do anything for him then. Reaching out as he tried to walk past me, I wrapped my tattoos around his arm and he stopped yelling. His narrowed eyes didn't stop me from looking back at him with agitated features.

"Shut the hell up Aiden and go be with Linessa," I said and let him go. The cooks, pageboys, and random people were staring at us in shock. I knew my prince didn't give a damn as to who saw him being berated by me but his father might. King Kier wasn't in a position to make demands though and I didn't care. Just knowing that these poor parents wouldn't have their child in a moment gave me the chills. If he suspected something in my demeanor, Aiden didn't say anything but he did pull away to go back to his daughter.

Taking a deep breath, I made my way towards the battlements and watched the road indifferently. I felt the nearing of Lawrence before I actually saw him. His horse and rider showed up a moment later on the horizon. I followed his progress as he neared the castle. As he got up to the gate, he looked directly up at me and stared straight at me. I stared back until he glanced away and I dropped down behind the stone before he could look at me again.

"Hiding?" Linessa asked smiling at me and I stared up at her.

"Yeah. Why aren't you with Aiden?" I responded and she shook her head.

"I couldn't stand the yelling. It was getting out of control," she replied handing me Rayne. The baby girl's eyes stared into my soul for that one moment and she put her hands on my lips again.

"Nammy, away," she demanded and my eyes widened. I bent my head over the little girl and I gulped glancing back up at her.

"Are you sure?" I questioned and she tapped my lips.

"Nammy, away," she repeated and I turned to Linessa. My eyes filled with tears as I hugged her.

"I'm sorry," I whispered in her ear and pushed her pressure point that made her pass out. She fell onto me and I slowly put her against the stone.

"You ready?" Lawrence's voice asked from behind me and I held the baby close to me.

"Lead the way," I whispered and followed him away.

Author's note: Thanks for your support! Dont' forget to vote and comment!