Down By The Brandywine

Meriadoc Brandybuck/Reader.

Takes place before the events of The Lord Of The Rings.

It was a warm summers morning when you and your brother Samwise Gamgee went down to the Brandywine river to meet with Frodo, Pippin and Merry.

"Come on now Y/N we don't want to be late do we?"

You just rolled your eyes at Sam and ran ahead eager to get to the river and its cooling water, and of corse to see Merry.

Ever since you were a young Hobbit playing in the woods with Merry, Pippin and Frodo you had developed feelings for the light haired trickster, Meriadoc.

You shook your head, no point thinking about it when he obviously wouldn't like you in that way.

Once you and Sam had reached the river you saw the other hobbits playing in the shallows.

"Y/N, Sam welcome!"
Pippin said while dramatically bowing before Frodo pushed him face first into the river.

Before long the boys had started a water fight with Sam and Frodo against Merry and Pippin, while you sat on the side unable to stop laughing.

"Y/N we need backup!"
Merry shouted while getting water splashed into his face.

"I'm fine with my clothes dry thank you."

"Why don't you take them off and join us then?"
Merry asked, winking at you.

You blushed but took off your dress leaving you in your undergarments.

"Move out the way!"
You shouted before jumping into the water soaking Sam and Frodo.

The water fight lasted for a few more minutes before everyone sat on the river bank, feet still in the water.

You looked over at Merry and noticed how handsome he looked with his hair hanging over his eyes and his nearly transparent clothes showing off his tanned skin.

"Y/N what are you staring at?"
Merry asked leaning closer towards you.

"I...Um...nothing!"
You squeaked, your voice going about an octave higher.

"You sure?" He lowered his voice, "Because I could have sworn that you were staring at me."
He said, adding a wink at the end.

By now you were blushing like crazy and shocked that Merry noticed you staring at him.
You looked down at your feet swirling in the water.

"Oh and Y/N? You don't have to stop staring at me, I kinda like it."
Merry said before walking off to get some food.

You sat frozen in place, Merry liked you staring at him? What did that mean?

*time skip by Pippin eating nearly all the food*

"Well that was one of the best picnics I've ever had!" 
Pippin said quite contently.

"Well Pip that was because you ate most of the food!"
Merry said, quite annoyed that he didn't get much to eat.

"Well Mer why don't you and Y/N go and find some apples?"

Merry looked like he was about to shove Pip into the river when Pippin looked him in the eye and he suddenly calmed, "Sure Pip see you later then."

*time skip by you and Merry arguing who ate the most food, besides Pippin*

"Merrrrryyyy hurry up and get the apples!"
You shouted up at the apple tree which Merry had climbed up.

"Y/N look out!"
Merry shouted before him and a basket full of apples fell onto you.

You looked up and saw Merry's face close to yours, before you could react he leaned down and kissed you lightly on your lips.

"Merry?"

"Y/N I've liked you since we were Tweens and I just hadn't found the courage to tell you."
Merry said before blushing and looking down embarrassed.

"Oh Merry if only you had said sooner! I've liked you since we first started raiding Farmer Maggot's fields!"

Merry started blushing again as you helped him gather up the apples.

*time skip to walking back to the others*

You walked back to the other Hobbits holding Merry's hand as you both sat back down.

"FINALLY!"
You both heard the three hobbits scream in unison.

Before long everyone was laughing and eating the apples in the evening breeze.

"Best day ever."
Merry turned and brushed a strand of wavy hair out of your face.

"Agreed."
You said leaning your head on Merry's shoulder.

It really was the best day ever.