[2] Taking A Chance

"Dixie table seven is ready to order." Jillian, her co-worker, said with a smirk. She recognized that smirk and felt a cautious approaching her. The middle age woman had a knack for teasing anyone she could, and Dixie was no exception.

Dixie tilted her head in confusion and replied, "I thought seven was one of yours?"

Jillian laughed and nodded behind her, "Your regulars are here for you, dear."

Dixie glanced around her and caught sight of a group of familiar faces she'd grown accustomed to. She grinned, setting down the glasses in her hand and speed walked over to the booth. Upon arrival everyone in the booth turned their attention to her as she crashed into a large burly man and hugged him tightly.

Everyone at the table complained and grumbled about not being greeted the same way. She wasn't normally an affectionate person to anyone but her children and Mel, but Dixie had an unspoken bond with this man. Vas had been the one who'd found her and brought her back with him. He nursed her back from the brink of death and cared for her as if she was his own daughter. As he didn't have any children of his own, he'd started calling her his daughter and she oddly was comfortable with it and called him "dad". She still loved her birth father very much, that much would never change but having a new family wasn't so bad. He and his wife, Giana, had become her family as well as the boys'.

"Dad, you're back!" Dixie sang and squeezed him harder. A deep chuckle greeted her back before large muscular arms ingulfed her, returning her embrace.

"There's my favorite girl!"

Dixie pulled away from their embrace and laughed, "How was your trip? Did Giana like the surprise?"

"Of course, I have you to thank. I don't have to sleep on the couch anymore."

"I figured she'd like it, she always wanted to go to Florida...Did you cut your hair?" Dixie awed and rubbed the top of his shaven head. Vas chuckled and pulled her hand from his head. "Not much to cut but yes I did, thanks for noticing."

"Nice to see you too, little Red."

Dixie glanced to the other side of the booth and chuckled at a mountain of pouting muscle. Hatchett was another member she'd grown close to. He was like an annoying younger brother she'd never had. If she was ever sad or feeling off, he'd go out of his way to lift her spirits.

Dixie stuck her tongue out childishly at him before ruffling his hair earning a disgruntled look. A throat cleared tearing both the two from there teasing. Dixie looked up and when her bright forest green eyes met steel like grey ones her breath halted in her throat.

Micah looked annoyingly handsome since she'd last saw him. He too had gotten a haircut but was sporting a five-o clock shadow. It suited him and she had to say she liked the rugged look on him.

After realizing she had been staring, she sheepishly looked away and cleared her throat. "Hello, Micah." She nodded to him in acknowledgement with a small smile.

The change in the stone-cold Reaper was almost instantaneous. As if her one smile and made his whole day.

"Hey Dix," Micah's stony face stretched into a grin, enjoying the blush that slowly crept up her neck and onto her cheeks.

"So, uh, what can I get you all? The usual?" Dixie tried redirecting the situation.

"The usual for me, love. I don't know about the rest of this lot." Vas chuckled.

Dixie shook her head with a giggle expecting as much. Vas had gotten the same thing every week for the past four years. Dixie calmly pulled her notepad from her apron, jotting down notes as everyone at the table added to the order.