Chapter 5

Connies POV

I screamed. I kept screaming my head off. My heart was pounding, and my mind was racing. I just witnessed my best friend retreat back to his gem... I couldn't help but recall the moment that only happened thirty seconds ago..

Before he retreated so he had a total of thirty seconds 'till his figure disappeared. Since he was half human, unlike a regular gem who would 'poof' instantly. So he yelled real quick to the sky, since he didn't know if he'll come back, once again considering he was half human.

"Garnet, Amethyst, Pearl! I'm sorry I was acting immature today! I just couldn't hold back my feeling any more! I don't want to die without saying thank you for taking care of me! Thanking for being my mother figures in life!.. Dad, Mom, I miss you.. Please be proud of me..."

Fifth teen seconds left..

He turned his head to look at me.. He smiled wearily.

Ten seconds left..

"And Connie.. Your my best friend. I couldn't ask for a better friend.. Keep fighting. Let this make you or Break you Connie! You are my best true friend.."

Five..

He reached his hand to me. Smiling wearily.. Tears emerging from both mine and his.

Four..

I took his hand.. I smiled. I'm going to miss this, tears of mine fell onto his hand.

Three..

"Connie don't forget us, don't forget Stevonnie.. I'll come back.. I can't leave you here alone."

Two..

I ran into him.. Giving him the biggest bear hug. Thinking I can keep him here.

One..

"I'll keep fighting for you.." He whispered in my ear. "I'll keep fighting to stay alive as long as my thought are of the Crystal Gems, my Dad, My Mom, and mostly You."

Zero..

He poof.. I feel to my knees catching his gem. I cried instantly as if I wasn't already crying. My eyes widen even more.. Reality hitting me hard.

"STEVEN! NO!" I screamed louder.

I stood up weakly and I ran with his gem cupped safely in my hands. I dodged weapons fluently like Pearl had taught me.

"Steven.. Come on.. Please be safe." I whispered. I watched as I heard gems yelling retreat.

Expect for another rebellion. Who took the warp pad and warped away, Garnet was obviously not worried of these gems. Considering they helped with the war.

As all the bad gems cleared away. It was only me running to Garnet, Pearl and Amethyst who were huffing and puffing.

I was still far away from them. So I screamed.

"STEVEN! NO! COME BACK! COME BACK!" I needed both their attention and to just let that out. Anger for the Bismuth grew inside of me. However tears just rolled down my cheeks..

I fell again to my knees.. Tears creased down my eyes. Through the blurriness I saw the Crystal gems running towards me.

"Without you.. I feel broke..
Like I'm half of a whole..
Without you.. I got no hand to hand..
Without you.."

I sang sadly. My tear dripped onto his gem. I opened my eyes to see the gems surrounding me. There eyes were swelled with Hurt, sadness, despair, confusion, however lost and regret stood out the most. Tears rolled down there beautifully colored skin.

For some reason I felt as if I should keep singing. For Steven.. Right.?..

"Without you.. I feel torn
like a sail in a storm..
Without you.. I'm
Just a sad song..

Without you, Without you... I'm not opportunity..
So please don't just leave me here alone..
Without you there's no Steven to go..

I cried more, there was nothing.. Not even a sense of heat or satisfaction. His gem wasn't glowing its bright pink chirpiness. It was dull and bare as ever. I never thought I would hate to see myself in this nothing less of pink glass.

I wanted to be angry, I wanted to smash everything in my way, I wanted to crush every gem in my path. But.. I couldn't. I was weak, I couldn't even protect Steven. What kind of friend and I?.. What kind of warrior am I?..

I grunted loudly in frustration.. However more tears kept falling...

"Wh-at-t Ka-Ka-Ki-ind o-of f-f-fri-end a-m-m I-I-I.?." I asked myself out loud, not being quiet. Sobs were mixed into my words. I could barely speak.

The gems were speechless. Pearl was on her knees next to me. Tears silently streamed down her face. She was clearly distraught, lost, and sad. Like she didn't know what to do with Herself. I could already see Pearl blaming herself for this.

Now the death of Rose and Steven will cling to her with every battle she fights, with every piece of clothing she collected for laundry, with every spoonful of cereal that she'll now force herself to eat for Steven.

Amethyst was on my other side. She sat in a criss cross position her head down. The mess of purple curly hair acted as a blanket over her. Her sobs indicated she was crying.

Garnet was standing. Her hands covering all three eyes. She was obviously crying however wanted to act like the strong one.

"G-Gar.. G-Gar-n-n-net.. I-it is-s o-k t-t-to cr-cr-cry-y.." I said shakily.

She fell to her hands and knees clearing shaken the hell up. Oh poor Garnet. This war went from a victorious win to a deathly funeral..

That is because.. At Strawberry Battle field.. Was the place were Steven Quartz Universe, retreated to his gem.. And the day he died for the first time.