12

Maria was set to come and visit us the week after, however with me just coming out of hospital with strict instructions to rest up, she came a week earlier to help Owen.

I wasn't an invalid, but I could tell that Owen really wanted his Mom around at this time considering how worried he was for me, so I didn't object. Maria was practically waiting on me hand and foot and I was off work for two weeks.

"Maria honestly, you don't have to do this, I can still walk." I said with a smile as she handed me the glass of water I asked for.

"It's my pleasure, I want a happy and healthy daughter and granddaughter." she said and then she paused, "you know I think of you as my daughter, don't you Rosie?"

"I do, it means a lot to me." I responded quietly, taking a big sip of the drink.

"Owen told me about your parents... I'm sorry." she said softly.

"It's whatever. I was too young to properly remember my dad, but I know that he would have loved to have been part of the baby's life." I said with a smile and I found Maria smiling too. He most would've been just like Maria, bubbling over with excitement all the time.

"And with your mother, I... I just want you to know that she's crazy for not caring. This baby, this means as much to me as it does to you and Owen, and the fact that she doesn't even seemed bothered about that is just mindblowing."

"I know, she doesn't even know that I was hospitalised. I should maybe call her." I said.

"Whatever you want." Maria assured me and I bit my lip as I thought. I had no desire to call her since the last call. Sure, I missed having a mother around, but that didn't mean that I necessarily missed her. There was an empty space in my life, but that was just for a mother figure, not for my own mother. I reached for the phone regardless and punched in her number.

It took quite a few rings for her to answer, and when she eventually did, her voice was strained, "Hello?"

"Hey Mom, it's me." I said.

"Huh? Whose speaking?" my heart sank.

"Mom, it's me, Rosie." I responded harshly.

"Oh! Rose, sorry dear, haha!" she paused, "so what's up?"

"Do I need a reason to call my Mom?" I laughed nervously, but she didn't reciprocate.

"It's just kind on an inconvenient time, honey. Why didn't you say you were calling?" I felt anger surge inside of me.

"Well I didn't realise I needed to book an appointment." I said jokingly, but I was serious, "what have I interrupted, Jacob's bath time?"

"No Jacob is outside and I'm actually watching TV with Timmy." she said and I frowned. Definitely an inconvenience.

"Sorry to be of inconvenience of you watching TV." I said bitterly.

"Excuse me young lady, what's gotten into you?" she said and I couldn't take it anymore.

"Mom, I'm nearly seven months pregnant and you haven't called or text once. Hey, did you know you were having a granddaughter? No, I guess not. And just three days ago I was rushed into hospital unconscious because of complications, so don't give me this shit. What's gotten into me is that I'm going through one of the most important, nerve-wracking yet exciting times of my life and all I want is for my mother to be by my side!" I yelled down the phone. There was silence on the other end, but I knew she was still there due to the faint buzzing of the TV coming through the line.

"Mommy, who's on the phone?" a little voice said and my Mom didn't answer straight away.

"Erm... it's nobody sweetie, just give me a minute." she stammered and I was finished once I heard her call me a 'nobody'. I slammed the phone down after a few more seconds of stunned silence and didn't dare look up at Maria. She came over and wrapped her arms around me and I leant into her and cried. Hard.

"It's okay, she doesn't deserve an amazing daughter like you." Maria soothed me over and over, stroking my hair and rubbing my back.

"Maria...?" I said, sitting up after I had calmed down.

"Yes sweetie?"

"You know you're like a mom to me, don't you?" I quoted her from earlier and her eyes turned bright with tears and she nodded, hugging me tightly.

I went to bed early that night as I was meeting Claire for a breakfast meeting on my maternity leave. I heard Maria telling Owen everything that happened with my mother earlier and I was glad. I felt too embarrassed to explain. He came in and cuddled me straight away, saying nothing. I didn't need to hear any words off him to know he was there for me.

She didn't call back.

sorry for a super short chapter, ive hardly had any time to write this week! thankyou for all the support xxx