17

"Thank you." my mom said as the waitress sat our food down onto the table. We were dining out at Brookies Cajun Food with the rest of the family; Mom, Chad, Lucas, Caden, Dee, and I. I wouldn't say Chad was apart of our family because I found him to be really sketchy. I barely even knew the guy and there he was building a house for us and all. Mom seemed to totally trust him and they've been going out on dates since we've gotten here. I don't know why she keeps spending her money with that fool. I don't like him.

The food looked to be really good though when it finally reached our table. That took about thirty minutes since we had such a huge group.

It was evening time, around 7:00. Chad had called us all down here like it was a meeting to announce something. He said that it would be really big and he wouldn't want us to miss it. Maybe he's leaving? That would be wonderful news.

We said our grace and began to eat. "Can't wait until you move in. I need some home cooked food." Dee said as I cut through my steak. I laughed. "I got you, baby." I put the strip of steak to my lips.

"I'm glad everyone could make it tonight. I guess cause dinners' on me." Chad joked. My family laughed but Dee and I kept a straight face. I watched as he forked a little of his seasoned mashed potatoes with bits of corn. This guy was so corny.

"I wanted to let everyone know that the house is complete. Six bedrooms and six baths are now available to you." Oohs and ahs escaped the mouths of everyone that sat at the table. Their eyes were widened and mouths were agape. I didn't find it too charming.

"Wow, Chad. Already?" My mom asked in awe. "It seems like such a short amount of time."

Chad took a sip of his wine and my mom did the same. "I know right. But I also wanted to ask you something."

Chad reached deep into his pocket, stood, and then bent down on one knee in front of my mother. Tears filled her eyes and she covered her mouth. "This is so unromantic." I mumbled, rolling my eyes. "I know right, so clichè." Dee agreed, making me laugh. All eyes glared at me and then focused back to the action. "Ooh don't get your panties in a bunch." I whispered, making Dee laugh. He wasn't afraid to interrupt because he had a "I don't care about your opinions" personality. Me on the other hand, well this was my family.

"Leslie, I've known you for so long. You've been my rock." he began. "I need you. You're gentle, kind, sweet, caring, and you raised your daughter and sons as a widowed parent. You've been through a lot and I want to take the stress off of you. Give me your stress. Make me work. I want to wake up next you every morning and thank God for placing you into my life. I want to be apart of your family and love you all for the rest of my life. All I want to know Leslie, will you be my forever?"

"Don't ever propose to me like that Deondre or I will force that ring down your throat." I whispered to him, wrapping my arms around him. He chuckled and shook his head. "I got it covered."

My mom burst into tears and nodded her head. "Yes! Of course!" Everyone clapped and smiled as Chad slid the ring onto my mother's naked wedding finger. I was happy for her. She wanted someone to call her own when Dad died. But I am keeping my word, calling Chad dad, will never slip through my lips.

___________
Social Media:
Instagram: neiarenee
Twitter: taneiartxo