24

An hour passed, making it two o'clock. I decided to pretend that there wasn't a problem, that my mother and her fiancè were not trying to harm me in any way, nevertheless, kill me. I was too young to deal with this. My father raised me right. I was his only daughter. He wouldn't want to see me participating in this kind of nonsense. My mind was made up. I was shutting this down.

I took another swig of Sprite. The breeze blew through my hair, as if my father's spirit was lingering around me. I smiled at the thought.

"Nina, your brothers called. They want to know if you want them to bring you over something to eat." Dee informed me, stepping out into his backyard patio, which gave a full view of the empty green grass.

I shook my head and took another hearty swig, admiring the newfound determination in my wits. "Tell them not to come." Silence lingered in the air.

I knew what he was thinking. I'm crazy. I'm not thinking straight, but I refused to turn around, recusing my word. I meant it.

Dee walked over and stood in front of me, his mouth slightly opened in shock. He had his hands on his hips, slightly hunched forward, and his eyes glared into mine. "What do you mean tell them not to come?" His expression sat hardened and determined. I looked him into his eyes. "There's no need to plan, I'm through." He stood up, straightening his back. I lied my head back, resting. "What do you mean you're through, Nina? We haven't even begun. Your mother and her fiancè want you dead. You think imma just sit around and let that happen?" I placed my half full bottle of Sprite next to the cushioned chair I sat in and stood up, wrapping my arms around his waist. He was tense and angry. His eyes were cold and hard, looking at me as if I had three heads.

"Baby, I know you won't let it happen-" "So, continue with the plan Nina." His words were forceful. I just shook my head.

"I can't. It's not in me to do that Dee. Maybe we should just let the police handle this. Planning and plotting against my mom and-" "And their planning and plotting against you! It isn't like their going to hurt you by giving you a scratch here and there.. they want to kill you!" I wrapped my hands around his neck and gently kissed him. He loosened, holding onto me and breathing into my hair. "I just can't lose you, Nina." I sighed and lied my cheek against his chest.

"I'm seventeen, turning eighteen in a month. I'm still young and if my mom wants me out, we can leave. Go live our own lives like we planned. Me and you. We're grown." I studied his face. He ran his hand through my hair, a tiny grin appearing across his face.

"Are you sure that's what you want to do?" I didn't even feel any hesitation as I nodded my head. He kissed me and smiled a genuine smile, pulling me closer to him.

"When did you get so assertive?" I giggled and looked him back into his eyes.

"When I realized my life was on the line."
_______________
Social Media:
Instagram: neiarenee
Twitter: taneiartxo