What am I to you?

Chapter 14

The hustle and bustle of the market place overwhelmed my senses.

Different smells wafted from each individual tent. I couldn't help but sneak a peek at the glorious fruit that was laid out before us. My mouth started watering at the thought of sinking my teeth into one of these ripe apples.

"Hungry Adelaide?" Gavin smiled devilishly, his hands playfully resting on my shoulders. As if in response, my stomach decided to let out a piercing cry. "I'll take that as a yes," he laughed, jostling my shoulders and steering me towards one of the vendors. The fruit that was on display looked so colorful and bright, that I swear it was something that came out of a dream. Compared to the stale bread I've been consuming for months, this was like heaven except in food.

"Anything for the lady?" A stout burly man came up from behind the cart, looking curiously at Gavin and I.

"Actually, we'll take four of your red apples," Gavin replied, seeing the awestruck look on my face.

"4 crowns," the vendor responded, grabbing four apples from their rightful place. Upon hearing the price, I had a feeling we wouldn't be able to afford it.

"Good sir, I'm sure we can strike up a deal that suits the both of us," Gavin smoothly said, looking tall and confident. My brows knitted together in confusion. What in the world is he doing?

"4 crowns is my price, take it or leave it," the vendor answered, looking annoyed and impatient.

"How about 1 crown? And I'll throw in this pearl necklace," Gavin countered, holding out the shimmering white string of pearls.

The stout man looked as if he was mulling Gavin's offer over. For a short while, we stood there staring at one another in silence. My stomach twisted and turned in anticipation, or was that just my stomach growling?

"Fine, one crown and the necklace," the vendor finally agreed, holding out his hand. Gavin set the crown and the pearl necklace in the palm of the man's hand, grabbing the four apples in exchange.

Almost immediately, Gavin grabbed me by the shoulder and yanked us away from the cart. Stumbling I said,

"Why are you moving so fast? Geez." When we were a safe enough distance away from the burly vendor, Gavin spun around, connecting his eyes with mine.

"I gave him fake pearls," he smiled triumphantly, raising one of the apples to his nose. My eyes widened in horror, remembering the vendors burly muscles that could easily snap me in two.

"What?! Why?!" I loudly whispered, already knowing the answer.

"I wasn't about to drop four crowns on that man," he scoffed, walking out of the market place with me following at his heels.

"But...what if he realizes what you did?" I hesitantly asked when Gavin suddenly plopped an apple into my hands.

"I doubt it, he wasn't that bright," he laughed, looking pretty pleased with himself.

Sighing in frustration, I eyed Arthur standing just outside the entrance to the market place. I smiled in delight, bouncing over to him. However, I suddenly noticed a tall, lanky, curly chestnut brown haired woman getting awfully close to him. Her hand traveled over his bicep and up his chest as she laughed playfully. It felt as if a dagger was stabbing me repeatedly in the chest and then being twisted further.

"Arthur!" Gavin called, waving both of them over. The woman and Arthur jogged towards us, stopping right at my heels.

"Adelaide," Arthur said in surprise, his eyes softening in my presence. I wanted to smack that look right off of his face, better yet, stab him repeatedly instead.

"Arthur, sweetie, who's this?" The woman cooed, coiling her arm around his bicep. I wanted to puke.

"Umm...this is the woman I've been looking after," he replied, grabbing an apple from Gavin. The woman sized me up, squinting her bright brown eyes in disgust.

"Well it's clear she hasn't had a bath in quite some time," she said, sticking her nose up.

"Now, now, Guinevere, don't be too hostile towards Addie here," Gavin interjected, standing by my side. A smile creeped it's way onto my face, reminding me that I at least had someone to stand up for me.

"Hostile? As if this beggar even knows the meaning of the word," Guinevere snorted, rolling her eyes in my direction. Heat creeped it's way up my neck, causing a blush to stain my cheeks in embarrassment. Never in my life had I been treated with such discourtesy.

"Don't go running that loud mouth of yours Gwennie," Adriana glared, clasping her hand onto my shoulder. Where in the world did she come from? What's going on?

"Huff, I'm not here for any of you peasants," Guinevere snarled, staring sweetly up at Arthur. The whole scene made me want to smack my head against the nearest tree to put me out of my misery. "Arthur, honey, when will you take me on these little adventures of yours?" She whined, clasping her hands around his neck.

"I'm sorry Guinevere, I can't this time," he answered, pulling her hands away. Anger boiled inside of me, wanting to come out and shove Guinevere down a cliff. My fists clenched and then unclenched, trying to calm my racing heart. How dare he admit that he fancies me when he has another woman on the side! How dare he!

Unable to calm my nerves, I turned back and stomped over angrily to the horses. Who does he think I am? Some floozy? Someone he can play around with until he goes back to what's her name? Letting out a strangled breath, I stroked the dark mane of the steed before me. I felt hurt and betrayed, knowing perfectly well I had no right to those feelings.

"Addie, are you okay?" Adriana came up from behind, looking genuinely worried.

"I'm fine, just brushing the horses off before we set off on the road again," I mumbled, trying to make up excuses for my strange behavior.

"Don't worry about Guinevere too much, she's just a spoiled brat," Adriana smiled, reading my thoughts almost perfectly.

"I guess so," I uttered, a small smile creeping up onto my face.

"You bet so!" Adriana shouted, pumping her fist in the air. This time, I didn't have enough willpower to hold back the laughter that overtook me. Adriana and I were both laughing in unison, trying to calm ourselves. Except deep down, I had a feeling that Guinevere was going to be a large problem.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hey lovely readers! I apologize for any errors in this chapter, I'll definitely go back and edit soon ;) How'd you like this chapter? Do you like or dislike Guinevere? Also, what do you think of Arthur and Adelaide's relationship so far? Are you annoyed or delighted? And don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter! Have a fantastic Saturday sunshines :)

Xoxo,
Natalie